Shop Setup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop Setup

I am being forced to retire due to injury/illness. I anticipate now pursuing woodworking and have a shop that is 12 ft by 16 ft.....can someone give me suggestions as to items they have found essential in their shop....I do now have a ridgid scroll saw, the ridgid oscillating bench sander...I know I need a dust collector system, table saw, etc....suggestions from anyone on what to buy.....I am going to start out small making craft and small furniture items.from there, who knows?...thanks for any suggestions on more tools or accessories that will be useful and/or essential
    Goldenwing

Hey G-Wing: I too am disabled. A router with table is nice, as would be a jointer, TS, etc. It all depends on what you want to do. I mainly make furniture and crafts. So most of my power tools are handheld. Small stationary tools are handy if you don't expect to do cabinetry or millwork. Let me know how you plan to use your shop and I'll be happy to help you set it up.......Dawg [img]smile.gif[/img]
    He who dies with the most power tools wins!

Comment

Despite my injury I can stand up to work with tools, however usually not much more than 20 minutes at the time, then its sit down time. Primarily at the present just making woodcrafts, i.e. some outdoor decorations, childrens furniture, etc....but I made a cradle for my brand new grand daughter so I will probably expand into that area also ....hope chests, hallway chests, etc....I am definitely not talented enough yet to build any big time furniture pieces. My shop isnt set up yet in the new building, just working out of the garage. So far I have purchased the ridgid scrollsaw and the ridgid oscillator/bench sander. I have a drill press coming but thats about it for large tools. I am looking at the TS2424 table saw but not sure if thats more saw than I need or not. I am truly not sure how beneficial a band saw and a jointer/planer would be for me. Any suggestions. And thanks a bunch for answering me Dawg.
      Goldenwing

Comment

Ts4242 or 2412 would be great, as you will / have read get the best that you can now because buy wrong and you will be kicking yourself later having to buy bigger or better. Look over what it is that you really want to do, your physical limitations, then sketch out a layout. Have you looked at the NEW YANKEE WORKSHOP site? Maybe there would be some help.. GOOD LUCK dd

Comment

Goldenwing,

As far as the Jointer/Planer you can get by without it. You can by S4S lumber at HD and even some lumber yards. The disadvantage is that S4S costs quite a bit more, and you may have problems with consistent thickness. I would say that if you can afford it, and if you have the room, get them, they will actually pay for themselves over the long run.
          -Rob<br /> <a href=\"http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/\" target=\"_blank\">http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/</a> <br />Damn, I hit the wrong nail again. Ouch that hurts

Comment

Your disability sounds very much like mine. Most important for me is to have as many tools as possible at the same working height so bending is kept to a minimum. ( How's the first part of that sentence for a Freudian slip)Dawg
            He who dies with the most power tools wins!

Comment

Working...
            X