X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finishing question

Just built a walnut jewellery box and have applied 3 coats of marine varnish. My problem is that I can't seem to be able to apply it smooth enough to get the streaks out. I have heard a little about applying floor wax but I don't know enough about it to try it. any help would be appreciated bob

Are you talking about dull looking streaks surrounded by the wet sheen of the varnish? Sometime these are due to brushing techniques---sometimes some parts of the wood absorb more than others. Thinning the varnish slightly, can help----can should list the type of solvent---but, for future reference, a marine spar varnish isn't generally for fine furniture projects.
    Dave

Comment

Is your product a polyurethane varnish?

Comment

varnish is not polyurethane and I did not try to thin the varnish. thanks for the reply bob

Comment

Bobby1,
          I'm not sure about the nature of the streaks, but you may be able to rub out the finish with paste wax. My recommendation is to go to www.homesteadfinishing.com and post your question/problem in the forum. The is also a good article on rubbing out finishes in the Article section of the website.

Comment

varnish is not polyurethane

No, but polyurethance varnish sure as hell is varnish...

Dave

Comment

dave---perhaps I did not answer the question properly. What I intended to say is that the varnish I was using was not polyurethane in response to desmo888 question.
              thanks for the site glh i'm going to look at it now bob

Comment

Bobby if the streaks are Brush related, use a foam Brush, if they are coming up under the finish thin the varnish with Mineral spirits, ( about a shot per pint max.) but I would try it on a scrap piece first, if those suggestions dont help, there has been alot of bad varnish being sold lately, thats why I make my own. if you are Using Helmsman...quickly thow the can away that will ruin a fine piece of wood faster than anything

Comment

thanks allen--helmsnan it is-my problem is brush strokes-why I haven't tried the foam brush is because on another forum someone suggested that they were no good- guess I'll try one bob

Comment

Bob,
                    Don't use the cheap $0.95 foam brushes spend a few dollars and get a better one they usually cant be used more than once...hope I helped U out. Take Care...AL

Comment

Bobby, I took the answer wrong. Please accept my apology for the misunderstanding.

Dave

Comment

Bobby

If your finish is uneven because of high and low brush strokes, try using 600-800 grit wet or dry sandpaper. Use it with water and just sand lightly and wipe off water and residue from your project. Keep doing this until your finish is smooth as a new baby's butt. It will make it smooth. Then do as the others on here have suggested, anthin your finishing varnish with spirits and apply one final coat. That should give you the finished lustre you are looking for.

Happy woodworking guys

Comment

Working...
                        X