X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Thickness

I just received some Cherry that I ordered from Rockler. It's for a small project so I only needed two pieces; one piece 1/2" X 5 3/4" X 60" and one piece 3/4" X 1 1/2" X 12". Both pieces were right on the money as far as the width goes. The long 60" piece was extremely close to the 1/2" thickness but there was a 2" chip at the end missing from the board. The small 12" piece was off by 1/32" to 1/8" on the thickness.
    None of the problems would be enough to stop me from going ahead with work on the project. My question is is this wood acceptable, especially the thickness of the short piece, or should I return it?
    I don't have a JP or TP and I don't want to hand plane the short piece down to the proper thickness. Am I being to picky or is this normal when ordering from through mail order?
    I appreciate any comments or suggestions!

Thanks, bernie

The last couple or so inches of a board are generally considered waste, chipout or planer snipe or checking often does them in. That, I would overlook.

If I'm understanding you correctly, the 3/4"x1 1/2"x12" piece varies 3/32" in thickness? That, I would find unacceptable, -if the board is sold as fully dimensioned-. This is often referred to as "craft wood", it is where you can buy multiple species in a fully dimensioned state as you list. These woods are sold at a pretty high premium, and they should be close to all their stated dimensions.

If the board was off a 32nd in thickness, I probably wouldn't blink an eye. It is the variation, 1/32" to 1/8" that has me bothered.

Dave

Comment

Working...
    X