X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• portable air compressor

Looking at the Hatache 12 2 hp on Amazom.com.Price looks good.Any ideas or help on this one..What do you have and would you replace with the same or differant kind / brand. I will be needing one in a week or so. Dick Nelson [img]smile.gif[/img]

Hello,

I checked out the Hitachi just now and the price is pretty good. However price alone didn't sell me on my compressor. I researched them for awhile when I got mine and I went with the Dewalt D55155 2HP 4 gallon. It's the one with the funky single tank in the front. What I liked about the compressor was the control up front. It has 2 gauges one for tank pressure and one for regulated pressure with an adjustment knob between the two. It has two hose connections up on the front panel which is nice if you are working with a buddy. I move mine around quite a bit from the garage to the truck and the jobsite so the design is great. The thing carries like a dream. It is fairly quiet and cycles very fast. Oh one last thing its made by Emglo. It is more expensive but I doubt I will ever have to get another compressor because this one wore out. Then again with proper care and checking the oil in the pump I reckon the Hitachi would give good service.

Gregg

Comment

Thanks Greg, I will see if I can find "your compressor" on th net.. When you say that it is more expensive how much? Where did you get yours from. My application will be to build the extension onto my garage and then furniture / cabnet / hoby work. I know there are others out there that I would like but on a fixed income I do have to watch the dollars. thanks again, dd

Comment

Hey Doc,

I got my compressor at Lowes back before Christmas. The difference in price on the internet is about 100 bucks. The Dewalt is the same price at Lowes and Amazon. Oh HD also has the compressor for the same price. Have fun and go check one out.

Gregg

Comment

Gregg, Thanks again for your responce. Lowes is an hour drive but HD is 35 minutes. I will be going to HD sometime this week to get a quote on the framing lumber, 2 x 4, 2 x 6, and rofing materials. I will pick their brains on the compressors. I do like the DeWalt from what I have seen and your coments. It is about $100 more so I will have to figure if I can swing it, If not I will have to go withe the Hatache. I checked into renting one but figure the rental over the time that I figure that I will need it I would be spending more and have nothing in the end. Thanks again. Dick Nelson [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Counterpoint here:
            I was in a bind for a compressor while finishing a house in Ca.(I'm in TX) and bought a Thompson pancake style compressor -- about $350. Worked great. Never had such a small compressor before. It lasted a little over a year of sometimes intense use, but only for a short time. The motor went out. That's the end of the line for a compressor w/direct drive. Not cost-effective to replace. That put me in the market for a compressor. Professional woodworking friend recommended I go to an industrial compressor supplier and get a used comp.

I went to a dealer who sells AND services compressors -- all brands, colors, shapes, sizes, and descriptions... 1 hp to super-humongous muthas. Told him my dilemna and experience w/the Thompson comp. His remark was "nice compressor. Did you run it on an extension cord?". I told him "yes, but it was a 10 gauge so I wouldn't have any problem w/power loss." He said "hmmmm", whatever that meant. I think he was just listening, not judging. I told him my #1 criteria was I wanted a compressor that was QUIET. If you've listened to a direct-drive comp (pancake, double tank, single small tank, etc.) run, you KNOW when they're running by the decibel count. I was kinda used to this. I told the salesman I was considering a DeWalt Emglo, because it just looked like a macho compressor and I had walked by it and laid hands on it so many times at HD. He said he carried the same, quoting me a price better than HD, but then he said "let me show you something"; then proceeded to take me to the repair shop (this guy was a great salesman -- took the time) where they had tons of compressors in various states of repair. There were several (4 or 5) Emglo's in from the battlefield. He said they all needed motors...that DeWalt had bought this company and cheapened the product with cost-cutting manufacturing procedures. But he would be happy to sell me one.

At this point I just asked him: "If you were buying a compressor for a small shop, what would YOU get". He took me back up front and showed me this unimpressive-looking dark blue 20-gal tank w/black motor & compressor and said they had a lot of customers happy with it. 20 gallon tank with dual cast iron cylinders. I asked him if I could hear it run. O.K. Plugged it in, turned it on. That baby was MINE. quiet, sweet-sounding purr as it pressured up the 20-gal tank to 125 psi in just a minute or so. 385 buckaroos, but it was love at first listen. That was about 6 months ago. Now I still love to hear it run (how many compressors can you say that about?). Not intrusive at all - hardly interrupts a train of thought.

The brand is "Puma". It's an industrial-strength, not widely advertised, but national, brand. Been around for a thousand years. But I'm sure there are other mfgrs of this style that are just as solid. If any component goes out, they are highly repairable at a reasonable rate (<$100 for a motor), which makes me think it's the last one I'll own. Not as flashy and intensely advertised as the hot little "carry-around, highly portable" jobs, but stone-cold reliable and QUIET.

I relate this story because I think woodworkers should look beyond the hype and look at the effectiveness of a product before spending scarce resources. It was about $100 more than I thought I would spend, but I have 0 regrets.

Good luck on your choice.

rotsa ruck & bee safe.

Rodney J in TX

Comment

I would also compare to this http://air.ingersoll-rand.com/pdf/DD2T2.pdf
              Oil lube is the way to go though. Wish I knew that before I bought my Porter-Cable compressor. Just make sure it has the output (x cfm @90 PSI) for the tools you plan to run.

Comment

I'd urge caution about jumping in with the small compressors. Contractors like them for nail guns, but they consider them expendable; one compressor for one job (maybe two), then replace it.

Even if you think all you're going to use it for is nailing, most hobbyists find compressed air so useful that then end up with other tools. For stubborn hex-head fasteners (including good sized lag screws and lag bolts) nothing beats an air-driven impact wrench. Likewise for hand drilling holes in wood, nothing beats an air drill.

So, my advice would be to buy something larger. The size of the tank affects how often the compressor runs; even with only a framing nailer, most of the small "portable" compressors end up running at a 50-75% duty cycle, and this is why they die. The size of the compressor affects the amount of air that can be put out, in units called SCFM (standard CFM) for a given PSI. You want nothing less than 4-6 SCFM at 90 PSI.

There are compressors around at 12-20 gallons and 4-6 SCFM/90 that have wheels. They are a bit heavier than the pancakes (maybe 100-150 pounds), but two guys can easily hump them into a pickup and one guy can move it around the site (or around the garage).

In my house the compressor is in the garage, and we plumbed an air line into the basement (where the shop is), so that we don't have to rig hoses every time we want to use the compressor, and by putting the regulator in the basement, we don't have to go out to the garage to change settings. Didn't cost much or take too much time.

As for oil-less vs. sump-lubed, you definitely want sump-lubed over a given size or over a given duty load, both of which exceed what most hobbyists will require. If an oil-less gives up the ghost, usually you can bring it back to life by changing out the piston (with its embedded teflon or teflon-like rings). What IS important is to drain the tank and get the water out on a regular basis.

Comment

Working...
                X