Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breathing some new life into some old Oak

Attachment

A while back I broke down a couple old, Oak dressers that we’ve had for about 16 years now. They belonged to my wife’s mother and grandmother and were on their last leg after tripping around the country with us.

Second Wind Workshop: Let the Recycling Begin

Have you guys ever recycled older furniture pieces? What were some of the oddities you found when breaking down the old pieces?
    Attached Files
    Pete
    My Blog - Second Wind Workshop
    http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.com/

Re: Breathing some new life into some old Oak

I like the idea of recycling old wood or giving it its 'second wind'; be it from furniture that is no longer serviceable or an old barn or mill being torn down. Both sources can yield some great material for projects such as yours and more. I keep on the lookout for old furniture that is worth the effort to recycle. Haven't come up with too many pieces as yet but I am looking for old mahogany mostly.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

My dad just recently built some bathroom cabinets out of old oak fencing from Kentucky. It's 2" thick and I think they said possibly over 100 year old fence. I think it looks awesome, he cleaned it up a little, but left it looking old, and then clear coated it with a couple coats of laquer.
      Attachment Attachment
      Attached Files

Comment

Wow Cowboy! That bathroom looks amazing and the timber is fantastic! Very cool!
        Pete
        My Blog - Second Wind Workshop
        http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.com/

Comment

Beautiful cabinets cowboy, I've always loved the pure look of wood that's had a life, and has been given another one, without being messed about with too much; holes, nail stains, and checks all left in. - being in UK we don't get so many chances of stock like that, that hasn't already been processed and re-processed so it looks like new again. I notice you can even see milling marks in places, which I think adds to that au naturel look, harking back to when it was made for function not decoration, and in doing so wins on both counts.

Comment

I like the wood a lot. Nice bathroom as well.

Comment

This is very small post but it is meaningful thanks.

Comment

Just be careful with machining or surfacing older materials. It only takes one nail or screw head to wreck a jointer knife or planer blade. In fact, I hit a buried staple with my jointer plane the other day and took a chunk out of a new 50 dollar BU veritas plane blade. I almost cried .

Comment

Working...
                X