X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• applying arm r seal

I am getting ready to refinish our dining room table and we are thinking of doing something different. What i have planned is instead of using stain or dye,i would like to use paint. I am thinking of an off white. My question is can I apply arm r seal over the paint?

Re: applying arm r seal

Originally posted by sanman View Post
    I am getting ready to refinish our dining room table and we are thinking of doing something different. What i have planned is instead of using stain or dye,i would like to use paint. I am thinking of an off white. My question is can I apply arm r seal over the paint?
    How about copper or stainless steel Sheet goods ? You can always hit it with a belt or orbital sander. Open Your mind to different materials !
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

arm r seal is a wiping varnish. if the paint will accept a wiping varnish, it will accept arm r seal. i'd use 320 sandpaper or 0000 steel wool, something not too abrasive, to lightly rough up the paint so the wiping varnish has something to adhere to.
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Sanman, Even with peoples well meaning advice it is always safest to test a finishing sample on a piece of scrap wood identical to your project wood to make sure that it is what you want.

Finishing is so subjective, that you are the one that really needs to be satisfied with the look and results.

I usually will mark off sections of several pieces of scrap that are the same wood as my project and label them with the finishing order and how many coats. That helps me not only with getting the look I want before I start on the real piece, but my confidence level goes way up and stress goes way down!!

Comment

Thanks for everyones help. I put two coats of a light pecan stain and 3 coats of arm r seal. It turned out better than I thought! Now my question would be would it be wise to apply some furniture wax on top of all that or would it even be worth it? Once i figure out how to get my pictures from my iphone onto here i will post them. The table has a nice gloss to it,just what I was looking for.

Comment

..... Now my question would be would it be wise to apply some furniture wax on top of all that or would it even be worth it? .....

that's what i do when i use it. johnson's paste wax or any good wax that doesn't include silicone.
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

If you decide to paint a project in the future, just pick a good quality paint and apply it according to directions. Putting a coat of varnish on top will do nothing for the protection of the wood and may change the color of the paint slightly depending on the final color of the cured varnish. Personally, Arm-R-Seal is my favorite varnish. I thin it slightly (80-20 with paint thinner or naphtha) and apply three or four coats with a lint free rag--or even paper towels. However, I would never apply it over paint: there would be no point to it. Also, I don't use wax on top of varnish because it adds no further protection and needs to be renewed every once it a while to keep it looking decent. Some people like the subtle shine wax gives. But you can get that look by waiting a few months until the varnish cures thoroughly and rubbing it out. Use non-silicone rubbing and polishing compounds, very fine wet-dry sandpaper (maybe 2000-grit from and auto parts store), very fine Scotchbrite pads or steel wool, or even a brown paper bag. Practice on scrap wood and maybe even get a good book on the subject of finishing.
              Joe Spear

Comment

Working...
              X