Picking out a miter saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking out a miter saw

I am looking for feedback on the Ridgid dual compound sliding miter saw, I am told it has been out for 2 months, called almost every Home Depot store on Long Island and got the response of nope don't have never did? anyone have this saw? Is it worth it? I am looking to buy soon either the ridgid ms 1290 or the dewalt 706. please send feedback at bud013@yahoo.com

thank you all in advance
    John

I've yet to see a ms1290 in person, I have a dw705 myself, no complaints, talked to some others who have had similar models for a much longer time, no complaints either.
    I've used the 708 as well.
    In comparison the Ridgid looks like a better tool as it's a sliding saw, capable of doing wide shelving compared to the dewalt, plus you get the lifetime warranty.

Comment

I own Dewalt tools, and am quite satisfied with them. I also own many Ridgid machines, and love them. Our area has the MS1290 displayed, and after close examination of the unit (better part of an hour), I drooled like a teenager in a strip joint.

If I could only come up with a way to afford it...

The MS1290 is a well balanced, well planned machine. It's name has heritage, and reputation. The company stands behind the machine like I've seen no other...time after time backing it's warrenty and beyond.

Simply put, Ridgid is a sound purchase that is packed with value, features and unmatched customer satisfaction.
      John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Woody, would like to write ad copy for us? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Bubba,

I do not believe the saw has made it to all regions of the country yet. Give it a few more weeks and you should be able to get your hands on one.

Jake

[ 04-07-2003, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: JSchnarre ]

Comment

Jake

Isn't that what I just did? (write add copy)
          When shall I expect my paycheck? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
          John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

I'm waiting to see that line in Woodworker's Journal: You'll drool like a teenager in a strip joint".

Dave [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

UO_WOODY,
              Now that would be a great TV commercial for Ridgid!

Bucko

Comment

Bucko,

No doubt, I can imagine that in my mind.
                The music starts.
                The MS1290 flaunts onto the stage, starts swinging on the pole...
                And throws it's dust bag into the crowd.
                Jaws drop as the big port is exposed...

[ 04-07-2003, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: UO_Woody ]

Comment

My gut hurts from reading Woody's post....that's priceless ad copy there buddy. I can see the billboard now...drool spilling off the bottom and all....
                  Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

Sorry Kelly, I did not mean to cause hurt to anyone with that "add copy".

However, glad you got a kick out of it!

Comment

The MS1290 still hasn't appeared in at least 3 of the Toronto area HD's as of last weekend. When I asked about the saw's availability, HD personnel replied with 1 "I don't know anything about it!" and 2 "You won't see it here for another half to three quaters of a year!" I actually saw (gee...I feel quite privledged)and touch (you can't do that at a "girlie show") one at the recent Toronto Woodworking Expo in February. Looks very large BUT reeeeeaaaaallll nice! Sure would like to know the numbers in Canadian dollars!!!!
                      Chris Berg

Comment

If you do happen to get the 1290 first thing to check is the horizontal slide. Mine went down 1/8" from the start of the pull to the end of the pull. Customer service said it was a deffect and bring it back for another, so I did and got the DW708. Customer service also said most people do not check the saw, so it goes un noticed.

Comment

hey bubba b-4 you go with the big orange box or big yellow take a look at the hitachi its a dual bevel compound slide , i think its worth a serious look i have been shopping for about 8 months. i am only gonna buy one more saw , and i think thats the one

hope this helps grizzly
                          so much wood so little time

Comment

I have had the opportunity to compare the ms1290lz and the dw708 sliding compound saws side by side. The Ridgid had some nice features such as easier to read scales for one. I cut a lot of dados on stock for door frames so I wanted a slider. I put a piece of wood under both saws at full extension and at the full in postion. The Ridgid was off by about 1/8" from front to back. The dewalt was dead on. The slide wasn't as smooth on the Ridgid. I guess the better bearing system on the dewalt keeps the deflection down where the ridgid doesn't. Now if dados are not your thing than the Ridgid is a lot more user friendly. The scales are easier to read and the bevel and miter angles are easier to lock into at any angle. Forget dust collection on and chop saw unless you build your own collector. To me the laser is just a gimmick and pretty useless. if you don't know your saw and have to rely on a laser you should't be playing with sharp objects. This is all my opinion but I hope it helps. If the Ridgid had a solid slide it would be my choice. If the dewalt had better scales to read and easier bevel and miter locks it would be my choice. I know which one i bought so you decide for yourself.

Comment

Working...
                            X