Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It could be made to accept a router plate and a router lift (two different models).

Jessem makes Mast-R-Plate and Mast-R-Lift models that fit in the same cutouts.

Dave

Comment

I like the idea of a router lift in the picture, but would it add a ton of money to the bill?

I found another one...Craftsman makes one that'll fit either end of the saw...in the catalog it's on the right, on the web it's on the left...fits any 27" saw and it's 14 1/8" wide. If the link goes through ok....

http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summary/productsummary.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0912233083.104 3035915@@@@&BV_EngineID=cchfadchgdegjkicehgcemgdff mdflh.0&vertical=TOOL&bidsite=&pid=00925 351000
      Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

Kelly you might be disappointed in the Sears router table I have the used a table like this & the grooves tend to fill with shavings & make things difficult. Also it's better to have a table 18" wide or wider. Something I've never understood is why people put their router table on the right side of the saw. I have mine on the left side of the saw where I can stand right next to it while I am using it. I have 2 pieces of thick oak with mitered ends that I mount to the fence with allen head bolts & fender washers recessed into the front of the wood & nuts that fit the slotted table saw fence. The piece of wood for the infeed side is longer than the outfeed side. I have a phenolic insert made from scrap I used inserts from a drillpress/spindle sander to change the size of the opening around the router bit.
        Darn I\'ve stretched this board 3 times & it\'s still to short.

Comment

but would it (a router lift) add a ton of money to the bill?

You bet! Woodcraft sells the Mast-R-Lift at $270. It isn't even the most expensive, that would be the Bench Dog ProLift NI for $390.

But, they are very popular, and with many of the same customers that are ideal for a product like you are discussing. If I were going to offer a prebuilt router table top of any sort, I would be certain to accomodate the popular lifts.

I've seen people buy a router table "kit" that runs over a thousand dollars, several times. These are your potential customers.

Dave

Comment

Kelly,
            I am really wanting a router table bad since we have been talking about it...

The Rockler table looks to be pretty nice but they don't offer a plate for the Freud FT2000 router... I would have to buy the blank plate and drill it myself, which is not a problem sine we have a full fledged machine shop at work... But, I also have a piece of 1/4" aircraft aluminum under my desk at work that I dug out of the scrap hopper a while back... It is 12" x 14" and needs to be surface ground and drilled...

I am wondering if I would want the miter gage slot in the front of the router table which the Rockler didn't offer, or is this not necessary??? Maybe it would be useful when routering the ends of narrow parts like cabinet door frames and such…

I have been running my FT2000 for near a year now and it is getting old… Maybe I put one on both ends of the table saw… That would be very cool having 2 setup’s…

Does anyone have any great tablesaw router wing plans?

Pardon me… I am babbling…
            Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

So Dave and Kelly,
              When do we get started designing the ultimate high quality, multi bell and whistled, low dollar router table, which we can sell hi-volume quantities of?
              Or do we sell low-volume and high dollar, to separate the guy's with big pocket books from the guy's like me???

I've got about $20,000.00 worth the design software just itching to make something...

Dave, what does your ultimate tablesaw router table look like??? Besides the one you own... What’s missing???
              Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

Bart...

I would put mine on the right to take up some space when I move the rails over on my 2424. This is going to happen in the next few months, so I'm going to take my time in figuring out what to fill the void with. I also want to utilize my present fence (with an addition or two) for the router table. Most of my routing on the table will be molding oriented...long boards at that.

The other consideration will be the fence itself. I am leaning towards the eventual addition of the Incra fence system, but that will come much later.

I did veto the Sears system today because even though it's inexpensive, it prevents the use of large aluminum plates and lifts. This is shortsighted as a purchase as I want the shop to be top shelf this time around.

Dave...I think you have a very good point. The table needs to be able to accept the most popular plates and lifts. How many models would we have to design to take care of the top five plates and lifts...or are that many popular?

On the same tangent, what do you guys think we would want the top made of? My uncle made his own from hard maple I think (I've only seen it once and yes Big...it has three t-tracks for the miter gauge....1 at each end and 1 on the front...I like the idea of being able to run the miter gauge on 3 sides personally).

My supplier just got a new CNC router systemn that would be ideal for making this table...I'm sure he'd be intersted in talking about a making them. I can design and host a simple web page with hi-res photos and help with getting them made, sold and shipped.

We'd really benefit from having one each of the plates and lifts we wanted to make the table fitted to as well as the dimensions of the top several TS's we wanted the table to fit...maybe Dave could help us with this part as well as relations with the vendors of same.

With your design capabilites, the only thing we'd be missing is the business plan and startup $$$.

To answer your question Big, I'm ready to start anytime to get this ball rolling. I think there's a great market for a product that fits this description. I know there are many shops that could use this product.

And, we'd get the first ones to test right?

[ 01-20-2003, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: KellyC ]
                Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

Random quick thoughts...

Coolest table top on the market, in my opinion, is the Jessem. Retails at about $150, 3/4" solid phenolic. Aside from being very stable, it eliminates the manufacturing process of double-side laminating MDF. Special benefit for this project is that it is lighter than MDF. The less stress you put on a tablesaw's rails that weren't necessarily designed for this load, the better.

Lifts: Jessem Mast-R-Lift (comes in two plate sizes) and Rout-R-Lift (which is becoming obsolescent, but is sold by Jet/Powermatic bundled with tablesaws). Woodpeckers Precision Router Lift, Plunge Lift and Unilift. Bench Dog ProLift AL and NI. Those are the ones that come immediately to mind.

Some are of course the same size. Be certain not to neglect the radius of the corners, as that too may vary. More info later.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Arbuckle:
                    Coolest table top on the market, in my opinion, is the Jessem. Retails at about $150, 3/4" solid phenolic. Aside from being very stable, it eliminates the manufacturing process of double-side laminating MDF. Special benefit for this project is that it is lighter than MDF. The less stress you put on a tablesaw's rails that weren't necessarily designed for this load, the better.
                    I like the idea of it not being made of MDF. I'm going to find that one on the web today and check it out.

Phenolic resin is probably the most stable material...can a good fence be made of the same? One thing I'd like is a dust collection port the same size as the shop-vac port on the 2400 to accomdate those small shops that use the vac for DC.

Could the 2424 & 3612 fences be adapted by the addition of a "bolt-on" for the router? We'd need to make it fit several fences by having two methods of connection...one T-track and the other clamps for the square tube fences....personally, I'd opt for this idea over a separate fence, but we need to think of both scenarios. Most TS owners would probably want the extra fence for production work.

Comment

For the Jessem top, search Woodcraft's site for item 143224, or go to the source at http://www.jessem.com/ .

Phenolic resin is probably the most stable material...can a good fence be made of the same?

Probably, but it might get kind of expensive. Most of the router table fences are made of aluminum extrusions, with a replaceable face. Jessem's faces are phenolic, Bench Dog's are MDF. I recommend Bench Dog to people, one of the features being that the cost of replacing the faces is negligable because MDF is so inexpensive. Other than being very attractive to look at, I can't come up with a single positive to the phenolic fence faces. I guess if you had a water leak, they wouldn't be damaged.

Could the 2424 & 3612 fences be adapted by the addition of a "bolt-on" for the router?

Here's Incra's answer to that question: http://www.woodpeck.com/wonderfence.html . Although that web page shows it attached to a router fence, it also attaches to the Incra tablesaw fence. The tricky part would be that there is no standard for how high the T-slot is on a tablesaw fence. As well, of course, many tablesaw fences have no T-slot at all.

Dave

Comment

I talked to Larry today (the cnc guy)...he can cut the tables for us. He also suggested we make inserts for each plate/lift and one size hole in the table for them. I thought that was a good idea....we could make them from the same material as the plates are made (alum?)...you guys ready to do some research and designing?

Oh yeah...and I think the fence part should be left up to the buyer...there are already plenty of them out there...all we need to do is provide the tracks for the fence and the miter guage.

[ 01-24-2003, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: KellyC ]

Comment

Working...
                        X