turning small diameter spindles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turning small diameter spindles

I am having trouble turning small-diameter spindles for a chair project (I keep breaking them). I'd appreciate suggestions for methods or auxiliary tools to help me successfully master this technique.

Thanks

------------------
    Tony White
    Tony White

I'm guessing the spindles are fairly long and that when you are cutting toward the center is when they are breaking. I also imagine you are getting quite a bit of chatter between the chisel and the stock.
    When cutting long thin pieces on the lathe you may need a center work support. There are several that are availible from aftermarket sources or you can make one your self.
    Basicly a work support is 3 bearings that can be adjusted around a work piece, near the center to help support it and prevent chatter.

Jake

Comment

Two tips to solve this issue
      1. SHARP tools. Dull tools require too much pressure to cut and you force the tool and probably get a catch.
      2. Don't use much pressure on the tailstock. This bows the spindle and creates a whipping effect which grows and eventually snaps the spindle.
      I regularly turn small dia. stock and if I obey my own advice, no problems. Keep spinning that wood.

Comment

I built a steady rest and have had good success. I also take note of your advice and thank you very much.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hamhand:
        Two tips to solve this issue
        1. SHARP tools. Dull tools require too much pressure to cut and you force the tool and probably get a catch.
        2. Don't use much pressure on the tailstock. This bows the spindle and creates a whipping effect which grows and eventually snaps the spindle.
        I regularly turn small dia. stock and if I obey my own advice, no problems. Keep spinning that wood.
        <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tony White

Comment

I found a steady rest plan on the Internet and it solved my problem nicely. It used three rollerblade wheels and bearings which were adjustable within a 3/4" plywood ring which was supported on the lathe bed and surrounded the workpiece. Cost: about $20. Quite nice. thanks for the suggestion.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by whitet:
          I am having trouble turning small-diameter spindles for a chair project (I keep breaking them). I'd appreciate suggestions for methods or auxiliary tools to help me successfully master this technique.

Thanks
          <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tony White

Comment

Working...
          X