X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice re: delta's sharpener

I am in the need for a decent sharpening system to be used for lathe chisels and planer and jointer knives. The cost of a Tormek is a bit steep for me although I am told it is well worth it. In the Dec issue of Wood, Delta's 23-710 sharpener was given a very high rating, just under the Tormek. Does anyone here have any experience with it and what is your opinion ? Is it a good system or should I save my pennies until I can afford the Tormek ? Delta's tool will cost me less than 50% what the Tormek will. Thank you in advance.

Can't answer the question yet cuz I'm waiting for my 710 to be delivered. The article caused Tools On Sale (7 Corners Hardware/St. Paul) to sell out. Supposed to be in next week. I'd be happy to post back or email you once I have it in hand and have ruined a few tools (my normal procedure).

I wonder if the 700 (Vert. Wheel) might be a good way to go for lathe tools. I know there are a bunch of them around because the Article panned them.
    Mike<br /><br />We\'re lost, but we\'re makin good time!

Comment

I'd very much appreciate hearing from you re: this sharpener. The 700 won't sell well if it sells for the exact same price as the 710 and not do near as much. Feel free to e-mail me:
      sobelle4@hotmail.com just be sure to put a note in the subject line to catch my attn.
      Thanks

Comment

Will do, once I've tried it outa bit. I agree about the price of the 700 and it not being quite as versatile. I'm looking forward to getting the 710. At my age I shouldn't be quite this much like a little kid on Christmas morning, but ........
        Mike<br /><br />We\'re lost, but we\'re makin good time!

Comment

I have found a relatively inexpensive low speed grinder with the Wolverine jig (Woodcraft has it) to be great for lathe tools. I have not yet ventured into planer and jointer knives. I am going to get a good book on sharpening first to make sure I understand these before I go invest in that route.

Comment

By accident, I also found an older copy of Am. Wwr or Pop' WW'ing (can't remember which), which also rated the 710 tops---two top ratings better than one However, in contrast, Delta's other sharpener gets poor ratings from several sources.

Hint-hint, nudge, nudge---Jake--maybe Rigid needs to come out with a sharpening system to compete with Tormek.
            Dave

Comment

I have been researching sharpeners for a couple of years and had decided to save for the Tormek until I saw the review. My 710 (700 got bad reviews in other magazines) arrived during the last minute Christmas present assembly process. I haven't had much time to spend with it but it the wet wheel seems to work well. The dry wheel did take off metal much faster than I anticipated and I overheated a cheap 1/4 chisel with just a couple light passes. I suspect with experience I'll improve. I would say get the 710 with the jointer jig add on.

Comment

Just to add a thought---when I needed a sharpening system (after 40 years of woodworking, I only owned a oil stone )a friend tried to talk me into the Tormek, which he'd previously bought----Geesh! For a guy who'd found it easier to buy new chisels, than sharpen them, their price was a bit hard to swallow.

I've invested a couple of hundred in diamond and water stones---they do a great job, but for the same money, the 710 would give you a much more versitle system---i.e. jointer knives, etc.----which are almost impossible to do on stones. Don't know if the Delta works for lathe tools---maybe someone has tried it.
                Dave

Comment

Where on the web can you find the 710? Does Woodcraft carry it? How much?

Thanks,
                  Michael

Comment

Michael, I got my 710 from Amazon, free shipping too. I believe it can be used on lathe tools, the tool holder has an angle jig which you wouldn't need for regular chisels. About $150.00

Dave, I thought I was the only woodworker that treated chisels as a consumable.

Comment

I have a 23-700 model. I manage to use it, but would really recommend another tool. When I can, I'll get a Tormek.

Comment

peterc49---yeh, it's a hard confession to make in front of woodworkers I was the same with drill bits, until I bought a Drill Doctor

Curt---don't know why Delta continues to make the 700---it's like day and night compared to the 710. I've got nothing against the Tormek, except its price---$800 with all accessories Now, if I was going to start a sharpening service in my town---the Tormek would be my first purchase, but for my little shop (where my table saw didn't cost $800) I couldn't justify it.
                        Dave

Comment

I'm with Dave, none of my tools cost me $800, but I'm not above spending it if it'd help keep them in good shape. But still I believe I can spend less and do a fair enough job. It might be different too if I planned on using it to make money with but thats not the case. I just want to be able to do a fair and timely job on my shop tools is all.

BTW, the 710 will sharpen lathe chisels.

Comment

Working...
                          X