Wood Dimensions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Dimensions?

Being new to woodworking, I have a lot of questions. When someone says, I am using Cherry wood 4/8 by 6" (I think that's right).
    What are they saying?? [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Semper Fi <BR>Chuck<BR>USMC 66-70

You (or they) have it backward. Someone might say, I am using Cherry 8/4 ("eight quarter") by 6".

Measuring in quarters indicates that they are using rough cut lumber. If the lumber was purchased finish planed, it would generally be listed in "inches", like 2 inch.

So, here's the oddity. If you run out and buy some "one by" finish planed material, it will not be one inch thick. It will usually be 3/4", though that varies according to how diligent the planer operator is. If you buy "four quarter" rough material, it should be one full inch thick, or a little over. Again, depends on how diligent the sawyer is.

Head hurt yet?

Six inch is, of course, the width.

Next, board foot calculations, or lumber grading?

Dave

Comment

I get it "I think" so if the right number is
      4/8 they really are saying 2" rough cut stock by 6" wide..am I correct [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Kinda makes you wish you would have taken up metalworking where an inch is really an inch. One inch bar stock is pretty close to really being an Inch (how about that?)

Hang in there, Chuck. In a goofy sort of way it all starts to make sense. [img]smile.gif[/img]
        Dick

Comment

You're still writing it backward. Not "4/8", but rather "8/4". Eight quarters.

Not that you cannot measure wood in eighths, of course , but the standard measurement is quarters.

Dave

Comment

I really appreciate the help.

chuck

Comment

Working...
            X