X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nail pop, now what?

In our laundry room there is vinyl sheet good installed and its in good shape and not in need of replacement. It's been there since before we bought the house so I don't know how old it is but its at least 10 years.

Anyway, I noticed what appears to be a nail head which has popped up under the vinyl. I took a couple measurements off water line and drain line that come through the floor and then scribing an arc from each of these known commodities I came up with what I believe is a fairly accurate location for the nail. It happens to fall right on a floor joist. There are other ring shank nails which were used to secure the underlayment to the sub-floor and these nails are visible. I tried pulling on these nails while my wife watched from above to see if I got the suspect nail but I did not locate it so I assume that this nail is driven into the floor joist.

So is there a way to sink this nail head so that it does not inch a hole through the floor without having to take the floor up? I was hoping I might be able to grab the end of the nail then give it a pull with the channelocks and clinch it over so it would not pop back up or maybe just pull it through altogether but since it is buried inside the floor joist that won't work.

I found that the floor moves slightly when walking over it in this area and I can secure the sub-floor from below but dealing with the nail pop I'm not sure how to proceed.

Anyone have an idea on how to fix this? Again I don't want to pull the floor up. It's about 2.5 feet from the wall so I would have to pull up a good size area to expose it.

I've even though about making a small cut that could be sealed back down but that would leave a mark that would show and its not hidden by the washer or dryer, in fact its right where you stand when moving clothes from one to the other.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: Nail pop, now what?

piece of lumber scrap over the top of it to protect the vinyl and then smack lumber with a hammer?
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
      piece of lumber scrap over the top of it to protect the vinyl and then smack lumber with a hammer?
      i though about that but i think it would just push the nail head through the vinyl. and what would stop it from popping back up the next time we walked over that area. I need to figure out how to nail this nail down permanently. :-)
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      ---------
      ---------

Comment

when I put some vinyl flooring in a good number of years ago, there was a seam glue, that would basically make the seam into one sheet, (at least the surface),

one of what I would think two possibilities, one take a nail set and drive it down through the vinyl and then seal the hole, (it appears there are repair kits that allow one to color and fill small holes available),
        Vinyl Floor and Tile Repair Kit - Repair Kits > Wood, Formica & Tile Repair by Lifetime Repair Kits (an example of a kit)
        Repairing Vinyl Flooring | The Family Handyman
        two cut a semi circle opening about 1" and lift up the flap and either lower or remove the nail and re-glue and seal the cut , it would be similar to this video but you made the seam,
        Video: How to Seal & Repair Loose Seams in Vinyl Flooring | eHow.com

a little diffrnet but the cut is a semi circle fix
        Video: How Do I Repair Tears in a Vinyl Floor? | eHow.com
        Last edited by BHD; 08-19-2012, 05:00 PM.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Bob, BHD is right on. My son was in the floor covering business and I helped him out on a few occasions. He had a seam sealer that made it virtually impossible to find the seam or repair. As far as the nail pop--chances are the nail didn't pop-the wood shrunk and when it shrinks, it doesn't suck the nail in. :-) I rather doubt it would pop again.

Comment

What BHD and Pipestone Kid are good suggestions, probably better than what I was going to suggest. I was thinking of using an Oak dowel about twice the size of the nail and hammer that.

The other thing to keep in mind is the fact that you mentioned that there is movement of the floor which is probably why the nail popped up. That little bit of movement can slowly flex the nail up.

So, what I would now suggest is that if you decide to try the above mentioned ideas of cutting either a small circle or a flap, remove that nail and use a screw, which may in turn, lessen the floor movement and you'll never have to worry about that spot again.

Ron

Comment

I read this question yesterday, but honestly didn't have what I thought was a good suggestion beyond having to cut the vinyl flooring and I wasn't sure if that was really the proper way, without some method of mending the cut, which I don't have.

Using almost any kind of blunt force to re-imbed the nail would definitely mash and, most likely, damage the surface... and probably beyond what a cut might evidence. Besides, if the nail worked it's way out once it will most like do so again. I think the nail needs to be removed and if necessary a screw to replace it, with spackling to smooth the surface of the head.

I do think that BHD's suggestion (and Pipestone's comments) are the best solution here. I say that because I just recently had a repair done on a leather chair, something that I had put off, simply because I was absolutely positive that there was no way the leather abrasion could be taken care of without it being unsightly. But to my great surprise and pleasure, the furniture Pro from the store did a miraculous job and unless you use a magnifying glass and know where to look, you would never know. The point is, vinyl flooring should be even easier to repair by someone in the business who knows what they are doing.

Good luck,

CWS
              Last edited by CWSmith; 08-20-2012, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lreops View Post

What BHD and Pipestone Kid are good suggestions, probably better than what I was going to suggest. I was thinking of using an Oak dowel about twice the size of the nail and hammer that.

The other thing to keep in mind is the fact that you mentioned that there is movement of the floor which is probably why the nail popped up. That little bit of movement can slowly flex the nail up.

So, what I would now suggest is that if you decide to try the above mentioned ideas of cutting either a small circle or a flap, remove that nail and use a screw, which may in turn, lessen the floor movement and you'll never have to worry about that spot again.

Ron

That's what I think Ron, the floor movement has slowly worked the nail up a bit to where it now shows under the vinyl.

I have thought of using a nail set or even something thinner to reach through the vinyl and drive it back down but it will come back up I think. I was thinking of going to the underside of the floor and cutting the nail between the sub-floor and the top of the joist with a recip saw. this would separate the nail head from the joist and the thickness of the blade would give me a 1/32 of an inch or so to push the nail head down with little resistance. I was thinking of securing the sub-floor to the joist using some pocket screws from below.

I'd rather not have to cut the vinyl unless I have to. I'm thinking I might try my plan above and if that does not work I can make the semi-circle cut and remove the nail and replace it with a screw.
                ---------------
                ---------------
                ---------
                ---------

Comment

Not long after I redid my bathroom and put a piece of vinyl down, it developed a squek. drove me nuts. Then I did as you're thinking, I went under the house and pocket screwed the heck out of the floor. Squeak is gone to this day. My thoughts on your situation, do the pocket screw fix first, then try to sink the nail. Maybe take an Exacto knife and cut a slit, insert a nail set or similar tool and pound away. Apply some vinyl seam adhesive to the slit and you should be good.

Comment

Hi,
                    My suggestion to yuo would be to hammer the nail properly, and if still the problem exists you can call a carpenter. I am sure a carpenter can help you with your problem. You can fix up the nail quiet easily with the help of a carpenter.
                    New Roofing

Comment

Screw, no nail to pop again !
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                      X