X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3612 Fence & Tape

The tape indicator on my TS3612, if zeroed at 20" is 1/8" short when run to the blade. Conversely, it's too long when run to 20" and zeroed at zero. The error is some fraction of the 1/8" when set in between.

If the tape were simply positioned wrong, then the error would be constant - which it is not. Laying a tape on the fence tape says the fence tape is accurate withing my eye's ability to discriminate across the entire width of the tape.

It is clear that I am doing something wrong. At this point, I need help. Please tell what I am doing wrong.

Thanks, Curt

Curt,
    Slide your fence so that it reads say 20" using your best measuring stick from the fence face to the blade. Lock the fence at this point. Loosen the see through indicator that you read your saw measurements with and adjust it to the 20" (This is about 1/8” you said). Tighten the indicator snug...
    If I am understanding you correctly, your tape reads right with another tape but wrong from the blade to the 20" mark... If so this should fix it... That is the reason the clear see through scale indicator is adjustable, so if you put on a thicker or thinner blade it can be easily accounted for without moving the fence rails... There is only so much movement in the indicator thou, if you are not within that adjustment, then you must loosen the rails and get closer, then setting the scale...
    Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

Curt,
      Also see either this link http://www.ridgidparts.com/pdf/TS36120.pdf on page 35 or in your manual on page 35…
      Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

Another thought, if you are checking the zero mark by placing the fence tight against the blade, you may not getting an accurate reading due to a number of reasons. If the blade is out of alignment, the fence will not lay flat against the fence face. I would use a measuring stick and measure the fence at the 2" mark and at the 20" mark and compare the results.

Jake

Comment

Curt, I had the same problem with the fence not lining up to the measurements. Here's what happened.

When I set up my saw, I set the fence parallel to teh mitre slot when it was about 6 inches away from the blade. that seemed to work, but as the fence got farther away, the readings varied to the blade. (as much as 1/8 as you stated, or maybe a little more.)

The fix... I took a metal straight edge and held it across the front of the table where the rails attach (on the vertical surface, not the table top) I found that the right side extension table was not in line with the main top body. In fact, it sloped away from the metal rule as it got to the very right edge of the extension wing. It seemed as though the whole wing was not machined with 90* corners. I then loosened the rail bolts and placed a few shims between the rail and the wing. (The manual made reference to needing the shims on the back rail, but not on the front, so I never checked.)After that, I had to re align the fence, which I did at 20" out.

Now, when I run the fence to 36" it reads 36". When I move the fence to the 0" mark, it nearly touches the blade. After I make a cut, everything measures correctly.

HTH.

Comment

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your responses, but none of the suggestions seem to apply.

The front of the table is line with the wings within my ability to measure using a 48" aluminum ruler. I just checked & will check again tomorrow.

I don't think blade alignment is the issue as this has occurred with at least 3 separate blades; the current blade being a Freud Ultra-Finish with a Freud blade stiffener.

If my adjustment of the hairline is in error, then I would expect that error to be constant throughout the range. Since it is supposed to rain tomorrow, I'll check a number of different settings and their errors tomorrow and report.

Right now, it has been a long, hard day and I'm too fried to trust any results I might get right now. Tomorrow .....

Thanks

Comment

Curt if you still can't figure it out, drop me an email at jacob.schnarre@emersontool.com

Jake

Comment

I guess I owe an apology. The error is constant, particularly if one take the time to read the hairline while standing directly over it.

Jake, you and Emerson are to be commended for hosting this forum, your service on it, and your tolerance for fools like me.

Thank you, Curt

Comment

Curt,

Shame on you, your no fool!
                  It's a learning curve. And what you have learned, I'm sure you will help others with in the future.

And I'm sure your experience has inlightened a few already.

Lets make sawdust!
                  John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Curt:
                    Jake, you and Emerson are to be commended for hosting this forum, your service on it, and your tolerance for fools like me.
                    Curt,

We're glad to have you fool or no fool (I'd put you in the no fool catagory). All you need to do is either adjust the pointer or move the rail to compensate.

Jake

Comment

Working...
                    X