venting a single stage DC outdoors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• venting a single stage DC outdoors

It's about time for me to replace the bag on my DC, and I was going to purchse a cartridge filter. But since I live on a few acres with no close neighbours, I thought I could just dump the exhaust air outside and save myself the cost of a filter cartridge (and be 100% sure of no dust recirculation).

I am not concerned about make up air or losing condioned air. I work with the bay doors open, and when it gets real cold, I prettty much pack up for the winter (sometimes I work in the basement on smaller projects with hand tools). Even when it's raining, I always leave one bay door open at least 1/4 way.

I have a 1.5 HP delta 50 760 with 5" inlet duct. If I remove the top bag, cover the hole with plywood and gasket, and attach a 5" fitting, I should be able to run a 5" line outdoors for exhaust air, right? Or does it make sense to increase the exhaust duct size larger than the intake?

Does it make sense to keep the exhaust air line short, or is it irrelevant?

The collector itself will still be in the shop, just the exhaust will be outdoors.

Re: venting a single stage DC outdoors

If you do this I'd keep as short a path as possible and bump up in size to 6" at least, maybe 8", and leave a way to easily take apart for inspection and cleaning. Also weatherproof the outside as any moisture that gets in will help the sawdust to stick together and plug up the exhaust. Then do inspections every couple months till you have an idea of how long you can go between servicing it if need be. But just like your dryer vent do at minimum an annual inspection and cleaning.

Will you be collecting any sawdust or just pumping it all outdoors?
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
      If you do this I'd keep as short a path as possible and bump up in size to 6" at least, maybe 8", and leave a way to easily take apart for inspection and cleaning. Also weatherproof the outside as any moisture that gets in will help the sawdust to stick together and plug up the exhaust. Then do inspections every couple months till you have an idea of how long you can go between servicing it if need be. But just like your dryer vent do at minimum an annual inspection and cleaning.

Will you be collecting any sawdust or just pumping it all outdoors?
      The machine and dust bag will still be inside the shop. The vent will be the only part on the outside of the shop. I will still collect the dust as before, but instead of a filter bag there will be a pipe exhausting to the outside. Only the fine dust will end up outside, as the bag will catch the chips and such. Is this a poor idea?

Comment

I considered doing this at one time, (never did get my DC set up) but just run it in to a cyclone and dump directly into a small trailer out side, the only draw back I see is when your heating the building the lost heat,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

That's basically my plan. I was going to put a 2 HP machine outside in a shed next to the shop then vent it but I'm going to try a 1hp portable inside and vent it outside.

I would think it would run better than with the bag, less airflow restriction.

Still putting my shop together so don't need it just yet.

Comment

Then do examinations every several several weeks until you have an concept of how lengthy you can go between maintenance it if need be.
            Landscape Paintings
            Van Gogh Paintings

Comment

Working...
            X