X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pocket hole jig problems

I recently purchased a pocket hole jig and was trying it out on a scrap piece of maple. I thought I was being careful and not moving or wobbling the drill around, but I noticed little metal shavings indicating that I was drilling into the side of the hole in the jig itself. So I thought 'Well I'll try and be more careful I guess' and kept drilling. Then, as I was pushing the drill down, the workpiece moved. So I unclamped it, only to find that the tip of the drill bit had snapped off, and I hadn't even gotten halfway through the maple yet. What did I do wrong???

What brand jig was it?

Comment

Don't laugh, but it was a Craftsman. I wanted to try it out before I spent the big bucks on a nice one.

Comment

Here is what my Kreg owners manual has to say;

Tips For Prolonging The Life Of Your Drill Bit
        Keep sharp. A dull drill bit get hotter, causing metal fatique and breakage.

Use a high rpm (we recomment 2000 rpm or higher, the faster the better) corded drill.

Make sure that drill bit is chucked securely by tightening the chuck in all three of the chuck's key holes. If the drill bit spins loose in the chuck while drilling a hole the shock may break the drill tip.

Aim the drill bit into the drill guide before starting the drill spinning, but do not place the tip of the drill bit against the work piece until the drill is up to full rpm. Do not push hard on the drill until the pilot tip of the drill bit is engulfed in the work piece and the counter bore portion of the drill bit has begun to cut.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks for the tips about the drill bit.. But about the metal shavings, is that normal? How do you avoid it?

Comment

“But about the metal shavings, is that normal? How do you avoid it?”

Have not experienced any shavings with my Kreg

Woodslayer

Comment

Originally posted by woodslayer:
              “But about the metal shavings, is that normal? How do you avoid it?”

Have not experienced any shavings with my Kreg

Woodslayer
              ...Ditto...

Comment

Godsmack wrote:
                I recently purchased a pocket hole jig and was trying it out on a scrap piece of maple. I thought I was being careful and not moving or wobbling the drill around, but I noticed little metal shavings indicating that I was drilling into the side of the hole in the jig itself. So I thought 'Well I'll try and be more careful I guess' and kept drilling. Then, as I was pushing the drill down, the workpiece moved. So I unclamped it, only to find that the tip of the drill bit had snapped off, and I hadn't even gotten halfway through the maple yet. What did I do wrong???
                Are you using a "step-drill bit" made for pocket hole jigs or a regular drill bit? If you are using a regular drill bit that is your problem. You need to buy a step-drill bit.

[ 06-28-2005, 07:01 AM: Message edited by: CARPENTERDON ]
                Dimensional Carpentry & Custom Woodworking
                Historic Renovations, Restoration, & Custom Log Homes

I Beat The Competition Hammersdown!

Comment

CMT also has a pocket screw Jig on the market. Comprable in price. Assuming it has the same quality as the rest of their products, it should do fine!
                  \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

I have a Kreg jig and at times I get a few metal shavings. It seemed like I got more when the jig was new and it has tapered off lately. I think unless you get a lot of chips I wouldn't worry about it. The side of the drill is bound to brush against the side of guide once in awhile and that will make a few chips.
                    Rev Ed

Comment

carpenterdon-it was a step drill bit

I finally broke down and got the kreg set. It was on sale at woodcraft. It worked great, and now my nightstand is complete! you get what you pay for.

Comment

Working...
                      X