X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice on C-man Saw Purchase

I'm rather new to woodworking, and I've been looking for a [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]table [COLOR=blue !important]saw[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] for some time. I don't need anything portable, because I'll be using the saw solely in my garage workshop and I won't be moving it anywhere else. As a result, I'm not even considering the plastic portable saws made by Bosch, Dewalt, Craftsman, Ryobi, etc.

My original thought was to purchase the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Porter [COLOR=blue !important]Cable[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] contractor saw that Lowe's sells for about $600.00. It seems like a good saw, it's made in Taiwan (not China) and it does not have the potential blade alignment problems that the Ridgid 4512 and Craftsman 21833 reportedly have.

However, I've been looking around on Ebay and Craigslist. My original thought was to try and find a like new Ridgid 3612, 2424, or 3650. But, I think the ship may have sailed on that, at least until someone invents a time machine.

But, a few days ago, I found what I thought might be the "Holy Grail". It's a New, sealed in the box Craftsman belt-driven contractor saw from 1996, essentially the parent of the 1999-2003 Ridgid saws. The guy told me he's had it sitting in his garage since the 90's and never bothered to open it or put it together. However, it's an Emerson built saw and the box says "Made in the USA".

If I buy it from the guy, I will be going to his place in person so I will see the saw (even if I have to open the box) before I buy it. He's asking $450 for it, and he told me he paid $600 originally. This seems plausible, as I found a copy of an old Sears ad from the mid-90's, and the saw indeed sold brand new for $600. I would never pay $450 if this were used, but brand new in the box is incredibly tempting...

So my question is, would I be insane to buy this? Does anyone know if the rip fence is any good? If the rip fence is crap, could I upgrade it with a Ridgid fence from a few years later (or even a Craftsman Acc-u-rip?) Is there anything else I should know about this saw?

Re: Need Advice on C-man Saw Purchase

I would not pay $450 for a 16 year old Craftsman table saw even if it is NIB. BTW, what's with the goofy colored/worded link above? No way will I click on that from a first time poster.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I have no idea what the colored links are for. I certainly didn't add them.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
        I would not pay $450 for a 16 year old Craftsman table saw even if it is NIB. BTW, what's with the goofy colored/worded link above? No way will I click on that from a first time poster.
        Looks like Jcc may have posted it over on "Woodworking Talk" first and then copied it here. If you right click on the link and then select "properties" it come up with the WoodworkingTalk link.

Jcc,

I'm afraid that I would have to agree with BadgerDave. $450 for that unit seems a bit high, even though it may never have been used. Belts, motor, and other corrosion could (but maybe not) taken place. I'm also not one who is much impressed by "Made in U.S.A." either. This was about in a period when Emerson (and others) were beginning to move many of thier products to Taiwan. It could be a decent saw, or it could be one of the reasons that the move to Taiwan was necessary. Either way, you're taking a chance.

For $500 you could buy the 4512 and with proper registration you'd have a pretty decent new saw with "limited lifetime service". While some alignment issues may be reported, my understanding is that the issue is fixable and you're getting the latest in safety features, etc.

CWS

Comment

Thanks for your help. I hear what you're saying about the 4512 but I can't bring myself to buy a table saw made in China...for a lot of reasons. I would think very seriously about a 3650 or 3660 because they were made in Taiwan, and of course I would jump at a new-in-box 3612 or earlier. This Craftsman from 1996 seemed like a pretty good compromise.

Comment

I understand your sentiments.

Good luck with the Craftsman if it all looks well to you (and I sincerely hope it does). I have a 1974 Emerson-made Craftsman RAS that I purchased new back then, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. It is undoubtedly my favorite tool.

It is my understanding that somewhere in the mid 90's that Emerson's "Ridgid" product line started being contracted to Taiwan and I would think that their products built for Craftsman were transferred during the same perion. TTI presently makes the "Ridgid"-branded tools (as well as Ryobi, Milwaukee, AEG, Hoover, DirtDevil, Homelite, and others) has manufacturing in China, Taiwan, and the U.S., as well as other countries.

CWS

Comment

Here's a thought, put a "WTB Ridgid TS3612" ad in your local craigslist. My biased opinion, I have one, is that it's one of the best contractor style saws ever offered by anyone and certainly the best to wear the RIDGID badge. The production run of the 3612 wasn't that long so available units may be hard to find but if you can find one that hasn't been used to death it would be a great saw for you. FWIW, the 3612 doesn't claim to be "Made In USA' but instead "Built In USA", you decide the difference.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

"New in box" from a private individual on an older saw means untested, unproven, and unwarranted....for me, it's less attractive than buying a really mint used saw that I know runs well. It also means that you're paying close to new price for a saw with older technology. Once used, even with lower hours, it takes a big hit in value.

Comment

You should have bought it,after the 3660 most is crap.
                  Taiwan makes some decent stuff but made in the USA is always the one for Me !
                  NO I am not a union member,I know machinery.
                  I build them.

Comment

I think I might be tempted to take a chance on that NIB Craftsman saw, but not for that price.
                    Get it under $300 and maybe we can talk. I had a 3650 for 7 years and it was a great saw.

I sold it when i got my Unisaw, but I wish I had hung on to it as a second tablesaw which I
                    would have setup in the basement and started a second shop there for winter time work.

If the box has been keep t dry, then open it up and inspect everything. Take the motor out
                    and bump it on the bench to verify it runs which it should, but hold on to it so starting torque
                    doesn't send it crashing to the floor !!

the belt will be trash even if it looks new. after so many years in the box it will have taken a
                    set and will always cause vibration problems. however a new belt is inexpensive so not a
                    concern to me. probably better off trashing even a new v-belt and going with a link belt from
                    the start.

what else is there to go wrong? if the arbor is not seized and the motor runs and the wiring
                    is in good shape buy it for under $300 i say.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

You can buy some nice older 113 cast iron table saws on craislist for under $100 if you keep you eyes open, and many times with many extras. I still use my Dads from back in the 60's and just added extensions to it, many parts for them on ebay. I did change out the 3/4 hp motor for a 1 1/2 hp motor and that made all the difference in the world.

Comment

Working...
                      X