X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jointer fence problem

hi to everybody ,new to this but i have been watching this site for about a year and let me say i really learned a lot .i own 3 ridgid power tools so far and hope to acquire more later,just picked a new jointer from my local home depot and after puting it together i noticed that every time i tilted the fence and went back to the 90 deg. position i had to readjust the fence stop.i also noticed that the slide fence on the back item 33 on pg.36 from the owners man.was not machined square .i also want to know if the bottom of the fence should be resting on the outfeed table when setting the stops .hope somebody can help from their own experience.

Big Bear

I do not have any suggestions as to your difficultly in returning your fence to precisely 90 degrees. I posed a similar question concerning the fence riding on the out-feed table some time ago and the following is the replies I received:

http://www.ridgid.com/cgi-bin/ultima...c;f=5;t=001034

Woodslayer

Comment

thanks for the input woodslayer,i finally set my fence at 90 deg.,most of the work i will do on this machine will be edge jointing and truing up 1 face on rough lumber .

Comment

Big Bear,
        I just finished that very alignment and experienced the same problem time after time, until I finally figured out what was causing it.

First off, I think the fence should be on the outfeed table and the in/out motion of the fence should be tightened down, since that's how it will be when used. In regards to the other thread that Woodslayer referenced, I think the reason for the small contact area of the fence on the outfeed table is to allow wood chips to pass under that portion of the fence, rather than fouling up a perfectly good cut.

Here's the problem with the tightening/adjusting procedure: you need to set the angle with the locknut loose and in the process of tightening the locknut, it will actually lengthen the stop by a very small amount that is perceptible with a combination square. What I did was pre-compensate for this by adding a slight angle in the opposite direction and it lined up after that (although it still wasn't too easy!). This was the most difficult alignment I had to do with my Ridgid tools (most settings were on the money from the factory), and it was also not documented as well as it could be. The good news is that my test cuts were excellent- a perfect 90 degree angle between face and edge

Did you also notice that the documentation leaves the procedure for rabbitting as an exercise to the reader!?!? That's pretty silly considering it is probably the least intuitive usage on the machine

[ 11-02-2003, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: yogibear ]

Comment

Working...
        X