Difference between laminate trimmer, spiral saw, and cut-out tool

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between laminate trimmer, spiral saw, and cut-out tool

Hi. I am new to this forum, and was just wondering what the difference between the laminate trimmer, spiral saw, and cut-out tool was. From what I have gathered, the spiral saw and cut-out tool are the same thing (although I could be wrong), and the laminate trimmer is something different. I know rotozip invented the spiral saw (cut-out tool?), but who invented the laminate trimmer?
    Thanks

Re: Difference between laminate trimmer, spiral saw, and cut-out tool

the laminate trimmer is usually just a small framed router, one can use a full size router for most of the trimming, the bits are the same, 1/4" shank,

the trimmer can get into corners with a special off set base, and is much easer to work, IMO, I use mine for a lot of light routing as well, I have a older porter cable unit, with the optional bases, similar to the one in the link below

Deluxe Laminate Trimmer Kit-97311 at The Home Depot
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I certainly like the looks of that Porter Cable. But can you be a little more specific with the difference between the two? And am I correct that a spiral saw is a cutout tool? And who invented these tools? Sorry to be a history freak, but I would just like to know as these things are kind of interesting to me.

Comment

I do not have a cut out tool besides a utility knife, never used one, but the ones I have seen are basically a Dremel tool on steroids that will chuck up small spiral bit, and is used for the cutting off electrical boxes, in drywall, there is a section that is blank to work as a pilot, the base is a depth gage not a stability base like on a router, but just hand held and the spiral bit would be used to follow around an electrical box or obstacle in dry wall, I am not aware of any "interchangeable" or do all units trim router cut out tool,

no there is not a lot of difference in design but different in use,

it seems to me that Rotozip was one of the first to market the cutout tool, according to there web site, The RotoZip Story
        it was invented in 1972,

routers were around before 1972 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Router_(woodworking) apparently
        although the first electric hand routers appeared in the years just after World War I.
        they probably did not become common until the 1960's tho, when the plastic laminate trim bits came out I do not know, but a straight bit and a fence was mostly likely first used, and finished up with a file,

a lot of the popularity of the routers probably has as much to do with the advent of carbide or carbide tipped bits as a High speed steel bit would only last a few feet on a laminate,

I remember only being able to buy the HS steel bits and smoking them and grooving them in ply wood and hard woods, I just used a standard router for many years with laminate counter tops seems like I bought my first trim bits in the very early 70's

but spiral bits were around for use in electrical drills when I was a kid, apparently there still made, Saw Drill Bit - Tools & Plumbing - Storage & Tools - Handsome Rewards or saw drill bits made of high speed steel

basically I thought the side cut saw bits were more of a joke than a tool, but my guess is that is where the idea of the cut out tool was conceived,

but as far as who made or invented what I do not know, maybe one could do a paten search with google Patents and find out who filed some of the first patents, Google the problem is many times the patent have different names in the names (for example) instead of "router", it may have a name called a "hand held Rotary molding machine"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ADDED

rotozip had a two-in-one two-in-one router and spiral saw and sears stole the idea, http://forums.finehomebuilding.com/b...ealing-rotozip (do not know if rotozip make there combo tool or not).

MLCS apparenly makes a combination unit,
        http://toolmonger.com/2007/10/31/the...s-a-dual-life/

my guess is there are some other make them as well,

router and spiral saw
        Last edited by BHD; 10-22-2012, 11:06 PM.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Wow, interesting read and a wealth of information! I may never find out who invented the laminate trimmer, but that was sure fascinating. Had no idea they had the cutout bits for drills before the advent of the spiral saw/cutout tool. As for the laminate trimmer and spiral saw combination, I've never been a fan of combined tools. And shame on sears for taking rotozip a idea!

Comment

some Patents you may find of interest, (when you get to the page you can click on the drawings and it will display a copy of the patents starting with the drawings and then the info and claims you can also down load a PDF of it, and there are other Patents listed that may have some relevancy that are similar at times

side cut bit 1952
            Patent US2623552 - SIDE CUTTING ROTARY TOOL - Google Patents
            dry wall bit by rotozip 1991
            Patent US5143490 - Bit for cutting sheetrock - Google Patents
            basically the trim bit, 1966
            Patent US3289717 - ROTARY EDGING TOOL WITH GUIDE WHEEL - Google Patents

http://junkyardtools.com/tool_history/porter-cable
            As the G-8 Belt Sander was being brought to market, World War II began and Porter-Cable once again did its part in the war effort. In 1948, Porter-Cable acquired the Unit Electric Company and their woodworking tools were added to the product mix. This added a line of routers, shapers, planers, hinge-butt templates and related accessories to the product line. One year later, Sterling Tool Company of Chicago was also purchased and more woodworking tools were added to Porter-Cable’s product line.
            http://junkyardtools.com/tool_history/porter-cable
            PORTER-CABLE continued to create new solutions for hardworking Americans during the 1950s. With Emmons still driving product development, the company pioneered another first-of-its-kind power tool, the portable band saw. Again, his vision of bringing the tool to the work yielded another breakthrough that is still widely used today.

Not only did Emmons continue to develop key inventions, he also explored the idea of router interchangeability, which is still a competitive advantage for PORTER-CABLE today. For example, the Routo-Jig allowed its motor to be used interchangeably with several different types of bases. This versatility provided two tools in one making the purchasing decision easy for end-users. PORTER-CABLE also added drills, chainsaws, and even a riding lawn mower to its line. By the end of the decade, PORTER-CABLE had opened more than 13 service branches with a distribution base of more than 6,000 dealers. During this time, PORTER-CABLE sold 53 percent of all circular saws bought in the United States.
            1935 stanley router catalog, PDF http://www.woodworkinghistory.com/st...talog_1935.pdf

history of the router http://www.woodworkinghistory.com/gl...uter_annex.htm

another patent from the 52 on a guide for trimming http://www.google.com/patents/US2970...minate&f=false

a tid bit more on the history of the router http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=161
            Last edited by BHD; 10-23-2012, 09:18 PM.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
            X