X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Magnetic Featherboard

I was at the local HD and seen the Ridgid AC1001 magnetic featherboard for $20 so I got one. The HD website lists it for just over $31. I wonder if HD is phasing them out? It didn't appear to be a sale item. The old price was crossed out and $20 was shown.

Anyway it works great on my R4512 TS. I read some reviews where people claim it doesn't hold tight but this one sure does. When I clamped it down, I couldn't budge it.

Re: Ridgid Magnetic Featherboard

$20 isa great price for these. I've had one for a couple years and i will check the next time I am in HD and if they another it is mine. Well worth $20, go get another before its gone.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I agree, great price! I have the Magswitch version which looks identical to the Ridgid's and wouldn't be without it. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if Magswitch made the Ridgid for them. IIRC, the Ridgid originally sold for $39.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

my local HD had them clearanced out, I grabbed the last one for 20 bucks aswell. Only reason I had not bought one yet is that the table saw I use regularly is the jobsite portable unit that has the aluminum top.

Comment

we'll see how these work now. got 4 in 3 different stores for $17 each. hope they are as good as advertised.
          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Don't ever trust Your fingers to one of them,They are weak!

Comment

Originally posted by jamesamd View Post
              Mine works great and holds tight. However, I have seen where others have had issues while others like myself, find that these featherboards holds firm. Maybe there is a quality issue with the manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesamd View Post
                Maybe YOURS is weak, or maybe you don't have a surface with enough iron to provide the needed grip, but mine works fine and has for a couple years now.
                I bought mine when they first came out. The switchable magnets are made by MagSwitch. In fact the whole featherboard is a MagSwitch design just cast in HD/RIDIGD orange and sold under the RIDGID label. I have other MagSwitch magnets and they also work just fine.

If you are putting the magnet on a surface less than 1/4" thick it may not develop enough grip to achieve full holding power of the magnet. That is not the magnets fault.

The thin metal/insufficient base material problem has resulted in a couple deaths for people using mag drills. Now mag-drills are electro-magnets but the issue is the same. they setup the drill on material which was less than the monimum required thickness and consequently the drills magnet did not develop full strength and did not hold.

If you are using the magnetic featherboard on a stamped steel extension wing of a tablesaw that may be your problem.

On a side note I have been looking in my local HDs for any of these still for sale but have come up empty. I would buy another if I found one but I don't realy need a second. Its just for the sale price anad their performance I can't see passing up on one that is being sold out at clearance prices.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                ---------
                ---------

Comment

Bob, according to the HD website these are now an "Online Only" item. I too tried to find them at the local HD for that clearance price but came up empty also.
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                    Bob, according to the HD website these are now an "Online Only" item. I too tried to find them at the local HD for that clearance price but came up empty also.
                    I really don't totally understand HD philosophy. Moving things online saves inventory and floor space. That's a good thing for them. But it can also detract from sales. For example, I recently bought the Ridgid R4512 table saw. I had a very limited selection of HD stores that carried the saw in stock and I'm near Chicago. I thought oh well, I'll just have it delivered to my HD store for free. But that wasn't even an option. They wanted to charge $100 to ship to my house. That extra $100 would have been a deal-killer if I hadn't found another store which had one in stock.

I actually talked to a Ridgid rep and he seemed frustrated that R4512 wasn't in the stores and displayed. Menards displays there version of a contractor saw as does Sears.

Now the featherboards are online only. I hope this isn't a continuing trend of HD to move Ridgid products out of their stores.

Comment

it may be that they found the featherboards did not sell as well as hoped
                      in the stores and now they have a bunch of stock they need to get rid of.

So the cheapest thing to do at this point may be to let them sit in the
                      warehouse and not spend any more money on shipping to the stores,
                      and just sell online the remaining stock until depleted then stop selling
                      the item altogether.
                      ---------------
                      ---------------
                      ---------
                      ---------

Comment

I picked up 2 of these yesterday for a penny each. They were sitting there and I remembered this thread so I asked the cashier for a price check. He said "a penny, but hold on". He asked another employee and he said that they couldn't sell it for a penny. The cashier then asked a manager that was walking by and he asked who wanted it. The cashier told him that I had asked for a price check. Manager said that since I asked first, they had to sell it to me for the price that showed up. I went back and got the second one.

Comment

Originally posted by museum_guy View Post
                          I picked up 2 of these yesterday for a penny each. They were sitting there and I remembered this thread so I asked the cashier for a price check. He said "a penny, but hold on". He asked another employee and he said that they couldn't sell it for a penny. The cashier then asked a manager that was walking by and he asked who wanted it. The cashier told him that I had asked for a price check. Manager said that since I asked first, they had to sell it to me for the price that showed up. I went back and got the second one.
                          Nice, I have been watching for these but no show in my local stores. I would like to get a second one but none to be had around here. That's Ok, I am fine with what I have but I would get a second if one turned up. Even at their original price they are a good deal and a good product. I believe they were nade by MagSwitch for RIDGID but I don't know that for a fact.

Featherboards : Magswitch - Magswitch
                          ---------------
                          ---------------
                          ---------
                          ---------

Comment

Originally posted by museum_guy View Post

Good grief...how could you go wrong for a penny

Comment

Originally posted by wrj View Post
                              Good grief...how could you go wrong for a penny
                              My thoughts exactly. I have 5 more HD's to check out tomorrow. If I find more, I'll be passing the savings along. I only need 2 at the most but I enjoy the thrill of the hunt. Plus, the expression on my wife's face as she was trying to explain to me the benefits of keeping our HD charge at a minimum and I hand her the receipt for 2 cents, priceless.

Comment

Working...
                              X