dust collection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dust collection

Hi everyone, I have recently purchased a 13 inch ridgid planer and I cant see how I can sand the wood any smoother. Ijust love it and what I have leared on this forum helped my chosing ridgid.thanks. I also have a 16 gallon wet dry vac and it can collect the chips qite well, but when the filter is plugged say after 35 40 board feet 1 inch to 3/4 inch thickness it needs to be cleaned. I dont have the room for a 4 inch dust collector but I was wondering If a cyclone lid from lee valley would solve this problem. I understand I could possibly change 10 cans before emptying my vacum,bu would my filter still get plugged with the fine dust or does the cyclone lid help with this.Thankyou .

[ 08-09-2005, 03:06 AM: Message edited by: ridgid3 ]

Originally posted by ridgid3:
    Hi everyone, I have recently purchased a 13 inch ridgid planer and I cant see how I can sand the wood any smoother. Ijust love it and what I have leared on this forum helped my chosing ridgid.thanks. I also have a 16 gallon wet dry vac and it can collect the chips quite well, but when the filter is plugged say after 35 40 board feet 1 inch to 3/4 inch thickness it needs to be cleaned. I dont have the room for a 4 inch dust collector but I was wondering If a cyclone lid from lee valley would solve this problem. I understand I could possibly change 10 cans before emptying my vacum,but would my filter still get plugged with the fine dust or does the cyclone lid help with this too.Thankyou .

Comment

I believe you'll find that your filter will get plugged almost as fast as it does now. The fine dust is what clogs the filter and the seperator will do a poor job of collecting that. In most cases, a shop vac by itself does a poor job of collecting dust and chips created by planers and jointers simply because a shop vac can't create enough air flow to move to remove the chips quickly enough. A real DC is the ideal way to go but if you can't do that then I'd be hesitant to throw money at a problem that may not be solveable given your circumstances.
      ================================================== ====
      All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Working...
      X