X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• table saw help

I am looking at upgrading from a direct drive 10: delta bench saw to the RIDGID® Table Saw #TS3612. Is this a good buy? Is the fence good and can I make microadjustments. I would like to use the scale on the fence instead of checking the cut with a tape measure after each adjustment. Do you have any advice?

#1 As many will agree, the TS3612, you will not be disapointed in, or Ridgid's CS or Warrenty.

#2 Tape rules are for carpenters, where within an 1/8" is close enough. It is NOT a fine woodworking rule.

#3 I personally would like to see all affixed rules elliminated from fence rails. I never use them. I ALWAYS set the fence to the carbide on 4 points of the blade with a cabinet makers rule.

All in all, don't spend more for less, buy the Ridgid saw, and never mind the mindless paychecks at HD, just make sure you get the rails box with the saw box. And make sure both boxes say TS3612 on them.

Chime in guys, help this fellow woodworker make the right decission!

[ 04-07-2003, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: UO_Woody ]
    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Greetings to One and All... I guess now is as good a time as any for my first post. 'Tiz a topic I can relate to.

I wanted to replace the fence on my mid-nineties Craftsman/Emerson 10" TS. To make a long story short, I sold the Craftsman, added the cost of an aftermarket fence and a little more cash and bought the TS3612. I looked at other saws, too but dollar for dollar...

Assembly was very smooth but an extra body is needed to right the saw on it's legs. Otherwise, just take your time and RTM. I have it fully assembled but haven't dialed it in as of yet. I do recommend you clean the top surfaces and rails and wax 'em well (or use TopCote) as soon as possible after assembly.

During my research, the Ridgid CS department was cordial and invaluable. Just super and, although I have yet to utilize the warranty, I foresee no problems if and when the time comes.

All in all... I do not regret the purchase and I can't wait to put it to use. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Jman - I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Be safe!

Comment

I upgraded from a bench top to a Ridgid 2424 (3612 wasn't out yet). The Ridgid is able to handle every need and more. After using it for over 2 years now, I don't know why I wasted time with a bench top. Assembly was not a problem and the mobile base is really nice to have. After liking the TS so much I had to go get the Ridgid BS and JP. So be careful, it can be addictive.

Comment

Jman,

I just bought the TS3612 and I love it! I too looked long and hard at many stores and all over the internet. I was also looking at the cheapest Jet cabinet saw but for that price I got the saw and the DP1550 drill press. I love that too BTW. I made my final adjustment on the blade square and the fence pointer today. I cut five pieces at different widths and measured them with a machinist's metal rule. Each cut was less than 1/64 off from the setting of the fence rule. Dead on in woodworking terms. I use lathes and milling machines on my ship and this saw is impressive for the price. Just ignore the Borg and the poor assembly of the displays. It is a quality piece of equipment.

Txrex

Comment

I use the tape on the rail routinely. As long is it adjusted for the blade being used I find it very repeatable. I do have young eyes, I'm sure that helps. I often check my cuts afterwards and am usually within .005 to .010's of an inch. Overall, great saw.

Comment

Thanks for all of the advice, it sounds like this saw is a good investment. I have scoured the rest of the discussion forums and have not only found some valuable information regardig setup (using the right screws for the power switch) but I found many proud owners.

Is this forum biased toward RIGID since it is on the RIGID sponsored site? I have seen very favorable reviews for this equipment but I can not help be skeptical.

It sounds like a great deal, I am going to a show this weekend (www.thewoodworkingshows.com) to check out specials on DELTA, JET and hopefully RIGID will be represented.

Comment

Is this forum biased toward RIGID since it is on the RIGID sponsored site? I have seen very favorable reviews for this equipment but I can not help be skeptical.
                I don't think it is biased other than that the majority of people here have Ridgid equipment. I, among others, have also posted similar praise for my Ridgid equipment on the Woodnet forums. I don't exclusively buy Ridgid tools, but I do have high praise for the TS3612, jointer, and drill press. I also like my DeWalt planer, Porter-Cable biscuit joiner, Makita ROS, Delta CMS, and various other tools. I don't have many tools I don't like, but that's only because the poorly-performing ones have already been replaced (including a benchtop DP I recently swapped out for the Ridgid DP1550).

As far as the forum being hosted by Ridgid, I don't think that is an issue by itself. I've seen widespread criticism of the exclusive relationship between HD and Ridgid, and I've seen threads with criticism of certain features or lack of features on Ridgid tools. The company does not censor those threads, IME, so their ownership of the forum is a non-issue. The good thing about their ownership of the forum is that one of their representatives does answer questions and help out when he can.

[ 04-10-2003, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Stuart H ]

Comment

Can make an insert for the right side of the table and use the fence for a router table? I have a router table that I built but would like to maximize my workspace. Is there a way to mount a table between the rails without damaging them or making the saw less accurate? Does anyone have pictures of this? Is this a common or recommended practice?

Comment

Carpenters don't use tape rules either...we always measure the cut with our tape measures.
                    Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

Can make an insert for the right side of the table and use the fence for a router table? I have a router table that I built but would like to maximize my workspace. Is there a way to mount a table between the rails without damaging them or making the saw less accurate? Does anyone have pictures of this? Is this a common or recommended practice?
                      Yes, you can easily make an insert for the right side of the table. I made one for my 3612 recently, but I don't have any photos of it available. The basic premise is to build something like this and then either mount your router directly to the table or cut an opening for a router insert plate. Just be sure when you make the supporting frame for the table top that you leave room for the router to pass through between the frame cross members.

The table I made was something like 27" by 24" - 30" or so, and I haven't actually put a router into it but I did leave a space in between the frame members so that I could cut out an insert opening and drop one in later on if I decide I want to do that. Just make it the same depth as your cast iron wings and as wide as the rails.

Many manufacturers offer ready-made tables for this purpose. You can easily make one yourself, but here are a couple of models to look at so you can get the idea of what it looks like:

Rockler
                      Incra
                      Benchdog

You can add some MDF faces to your tablesaw fence using t-bolts in the slots that are already in your fence. That way, they can surround the bit like they do on a normal table and you won't cut into the fence itself.

[ 04-11-2003, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: Stuart H ]

Comment

Thanks again for the advice, after going to the show I have decided to purchase the Rigid Table Saw.

I want to thank this forum for all of the information and support.

Comment

Thanks again for the advice, after going to the show I have decided to purchase the Rigid Table Saw.
                          I think you'll be very pleased with it. Don't hesitate to ask any questions that you may have when you setup the saw.

Comment

Working...
                          X