Drill Press Throw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill Press Throw

When you are looking at Drill presses and they state that the throw is 12" or 15" or 20", what does that mean exactly???
    Protection in the workshop? ... I\'ve got a condom on right now.

Zbynek,

I'm not exactly sure what you mena by "throw"! I don't think I've seen that term used in reference to drill presses.

Normally a drill press is "sized" by it's ability to drill into the center of a piece of stock. For instance, a 15" drill press has approximately 7-1/2 inches from the center of the drill chuck to the forward edge of the column... in other words, it can drill to the center of a 15" piece of stock. If the drill press was a "bandsaw" you might say it was a 7-1/2 inch, because with a bandsaw the size is stated as the amount of space from the blade to the leading edge of the support column! With a drill press, the size is twice that. (An oddity of the business I guess).

Other criteria for drill presses are:

Motor Size: in Horsepower

Number of Speeds: Usually adjustable by repositioning the belts on the pulleys at the top of the tool

Range of RPM : Speed range (minimum and maximum)of pully drive ratio.

Chuck Size: The maximum shaft size the chuck can accomodate.

Spindle Travel: Maximum amount of travel of the drill bit/chuck which equates to the maximum depth a hole can be bored in one operation of the feed handles.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Working...
    X