X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hickory router bits

HD sells these Hickory router bit sets. Are they any good? I don't need to spend the big bucks on the best bits just yet. I am looking for good bits that cut nicely and don't cost a fortune.

If anyone has these hickory bits please tell me home much you have worked with them, the wood you use and how much you recommend them.

Thanks
    Are you Rapture ready? Know Jesus Christ or know his enemy!

I picked up a couple of the Hickory router bits at a WWing show a year or so ago, they're ok, but nothing special. I think you'd be better off with Woodcraft (on sale), Woodline or MLCS/Katana.

Comment

I have no experience with thier cutting quality, however, I do know that the shafts are too short for use with a router table, unless of course your router collet is able to extend well beyond the base.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

I think I go with the Kanata as you said.
        Are you Rapture ready? Know Jesus Christ or know his enemy!

Comment

Hickory is sort of the Chevy division of Oldham which also produces Vipers, which are pretty much a mid-range bit-----all of which may have been included with the Pentair sale to B&D---confused yet?

FWIW----for commonly used bits like rabit, straight cutters, round-overs, coves, ogees, etc., buy 1/2" shafts (buy 1/2" for everything for that matter) of a mid to upper priced bit brand. For bits you may not use frequently, buy mid-priced. With a tool that turns at 25,000 rpms, IMHO, I don't want cheap anything that could go flying around the room.
          Dave

Comment

Use a hickory and then use a high quality bit like an Amana, and you will notice the difference.
            Definitely try to stick with 1/2" bits. The only 1/4" I have are a few closeout freuds I got for $1.99 each. Aside from that all my bits are amana and rockler. They go forever,it seems, without needing any sharpening.
            www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

I am not an avid router user, only when needed. I have found that the Woodcraft bits do an excellent job for all of my needs. I bought a large set they had on sale for $99 in 1/4" shank then when I bought my PC 895 set I picked up several of WCs 1/2" shank bits when they have their $5 sale and they all perform well.
              info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I own the hickory kit and i think that they are decent bits but i dont do a whole lot of routing, I waiting till i get my router table set up, but for light work i think that the hickory bits are descent if you dont want to break the bank for so router bits that you dont plan on using a whole lot

Comment

I noticed the other day when in HD that they no longer carry the Oldham or Viper bits and now have Porter-Cable bits. There were still some Hickory bit sets on the shelf but their numbers seem to be dwindling so maybe HD is going to stop carrying them too, but I did not hear that from anyone working there, just my guess. It would seem they would want to keep a lower proced bit set for the occasional user, the PC bits a not cheap...three or four PC bits will cost you what the Hickory 1/2" bit set costs (~$89).

Comment

Black & Decker owns Oldham and they also own Porter-Cable. My money is on Oldham making the bits for Porter-Cable.
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Dave---it could be that or it could be PC is dumping the inventory of their old PC bits----Pentair only bought Oldham a year or two ago and they've carried PC bits for a long time (though never had much marketing).

Oldham Vipers are pretty good, but my favorite reasonably priced bits are Whiteside. Here's a link to one of their best retail outlets.

http://www.routerbits.com/cgi-router...756+router.htm
                      Dave

Comment

Originally posted by daveferg:
                        Pentair only bought Oldham a year or two ago and they've carried PC bits for a long time (though never had much marketing).
                        Dave,ya know, I never understood that lack of marketing on the part of PC and their line of router bits. They make some of the best routers in the world, so you'd think they would want to compliment them with an equally recognizable line of bits wouldn't ya?

One of the local stores here used to sell PC router bits. They replaced them about a year ago with the Viper line. Now, HD is replacing the Viper line with the PC line. Nothing surprises me anymore.

I'm also a big fan of Whiteside bits. I've heard nothing but good things about routerbits.com and plan on checking them out the next time I need to buy some bits. Another site that I've always found to have very competitively priced Whiteside bits is http://www.librawood.com
                        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Must be PC thought that the router bit market is only lucrative for a handful of companies like Whiteside, Eagle America, Viper, CMT, Amana, Woodcraft, Rockler, MLCS, Katana, Grizzly, Freud, BladesnBits, Sterling, Infinity, Bosch, Price Cutter, Lee Valley, TWC, Hickory, etc.

Comment

Working...
                          X