X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting pergo type flooring

Hey guys, im new here, this is my first post. I have recently picked up the Ridgid combo at HD for $180 (drill/driver), Im really happy with it. Ive been helping my gf put things up in her new place. Ive been putting off what i needed to do in my house, i put in fake wood flooring in my kitchen and i didnt finish. I never got all the way to the wall, now i need to cut some of the pieces that i have. Which ridgid tool would i need for this. some 90 degree angles.

18-Volt X4 Circular Saw Console-R8651B at The Home Depot

oh yeah, ps whats a good set of drill bits, i saw cobalt and coldfire? whats the difference?

Re: Cutting pergo type flooring

You could cut the flooring with a circular saw but I would get a 120V saw if it was my first saw. It will be way more versatile. Cut the floor planks to length and put the cut side to the wall and cover with base molding. Use a speed square as a guide for your 90ยบ cuts. High speed steel or titanium oxide coated drill bits would be a good place to start. You don't need cobalt unless you are drilling a lot of steel and they are expensive and hard to re-sharpen.

Comment

A miter saw with a high tooth count blade would be my choice over a circular saw for this job.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

This is what I've used and worked well;

www.amazon.com/SKIL-3600-02-120-Volt-Flooring-Saw/dp/B0037KM8TQ

Ron

Comment

Realize that whatever you use to cut it, the aluminum oxide surface finish is really hard on blades. Even carbide will dull a lot over the course of one floor job.
          Joe Spear

Comment

Amen to this one Brother. Pergo is good but it totallt thrashes the sh1t out of good blades. Havent sent mine off for sharpening yet so wont know the extent of the damage until then. It is a good quality blade so I am hopeful.............!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Spear View Post
              Realize that whatever you use to cut it, the aluminum oxide surface finish is really hard on blades. Even carbide will dull a lot over the course of one floor job.
              Aluminum Oxide is the same stuff many grinding wheels are made of it makes the finish of the flooring last a very long time but ever time it is cut is like cutting a paper thin grinding wheel, with the blade, so the blades are short lived,
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
              X