X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid R4331 13 Inch Thickness Planer ~ UPGRADE SUGGESTION ~

Purchased this planer today form Home Depot, just finished registering it online, etc and after reading the reviews, while a 5-star planer, seems the biggest complaint by a few was the blade bolts seizing due to dissimilar metals (alum drum/carbon steel allen bolts) causing electrolysis. Some are stripping or having to bring the planer in for service over this.

SUGGESTION: Figured I would remove the blade bolts one at a time (keeps everything @factory OEM settings) coat with Anti-Seize and re-attach. This will permanently prevent bolt seizure, most who've used Anti-Seize know it's permanent capability with machinery.

Curious if anyone else here have had the issues I've seen on Home Depot's Reviews and what they've done to prevent blade/bolt to drum seizure.

Re: Ridgid R4331 13 Inch Thickness Planer ~ UPGRADE SUGGESTION ~

This is one dead forum, but maybe the feedback will help fellow ridgid tool owners. This planer doesn't compare to the DEWALT 735 planer, at all. After 2 days of use, returned it, planing 1/64" on #2 pine 2x2s the ridgid kept dying planing 30" long pieces. I'm running red oak 1/16" planes this evening with the dewalt and it doesn't phase it, no end snipes like the ridgid and it's just a much more stable tool with the 4-post threaded stable design. I have serval ridgid tools, so not complaining, but ridgid needs to go back to the drawing board.

Comment

If you had been here and read about the planer you probably would have seen that it does not have the most stellar reputation and in most reviews by individuals and the various woodworking mags the DW735 is tops in its class for lunchbox planers. While it is the most or one of the most expensive its not that much more for what you get.

Your Never-seeze suggestion is a good one but it can't compensate for the other shortcomings of the tool. I think you made the right move going with the DW735.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Greetings,

I am obviously new here but I have a question about this reply. I have taken an admittedly quick review of the posts/reviews of this planer (R4331) and found generally favorable reviews of it. However, for the DW735 I have found exactly the opposite. Most people say that the DW735 is good but the blades are trash. Are there better blades available for the DeWalt machine or do I just need to look deeper. A quick once over seems to show the exact opposite of what you have said. Can you point me to some better information? I wish to buy a planer and want to learn, I am not trying to challenge your opinion or question your knowledge as I will freely admit that I know VERY little here. Thanks!

--Stephen

Comment

Mr. Hall, if you admittedly don't know anything about planers then do your own homework rather than question what the members here (who do know something) have to offer. There are reasons why the wood working mags, etc., all choose the DW735 as "Best Tool"!
          Had mine since 08 and same blades.
          Big G

Comment

Wow! This is quite a friendly forum! Sorry to ask a question. I was just trying to learn. It will not happen again. By the way, if you had actually bothered to READ MY POST you would have seen that I WAS NOT challenging anyone but simply trying to learn! Thanks for the friendly welcome.

--Stephen

Comment

Stephen,

No offense meant to "Big G", but please don't let your inquirey be challenged in such a negative manner; YOU are well within reason for your posts and request for knowledge. I do not believe that any of us are beyond leaning favorably towards the tools we own and have come to really like. I do think the DW is highly reputable and certainly a favorite with many. That of course does not negate those who have found some problem or another.

That of course can be said about almost any product and I'm sure you will read from one source or another, both positive and negative comments about specific products or components of those products, regardless of brand.

So personally, your initial inquiry and the well worded and mannered follow-up to BobD, is well intended and not objectionable. But, as a fellow forum member let me just say that BobD is one of our most respected members and his experienced assistance is well known. I for one, have come to greatly appreciate his very knowledgeble posts. That doesn't mean that one shouldn't be able to ask further questions though; after all, a forum is supposed to be a "conversation" between members. Understand, that as human beings our personalities may at times be a bit "short" (we all have bad days or at least one's that seem to be impatient.)

Regarding the Ridgid planer though, I think there's some misgivings here. While the general lean for the old R1300 planer was quite positive, the replacement "updated" designs (R4330) had some problems reported by owners. The R4331 new model has addressed those with a few design improvements, but again, there may be some problems that are yet to be widely reported. This is no different than any tool of any model or brand. Improvements don't always improve everything and sometimes "new and improved" seems to produce new flaws.

Bottom line, if you found the R4331 lacking, then by all means you did the right thing on returning it. Personally, if BobD says the DW is a great machine, I would lean his way. Give it a shot if it fits your budget. Regarding "blade" quality, I would certainly inquire further about that. Remember, there's a lot of new and even experienced users who run into something, even of their own making, which will lead them to readily condemn. I've also come to realize that "magazine" reviews are a fairly decent "guide"... but NOT AT ALL GOSPHEL! As the owner of some particular tool, I've read reviews only to come away thinking, "Why didn't they catch this?" or "Did the writer even see the product before they wrote a review about it?"

In the question of "blade" quality, I believe blades may well be available from other sources. Not sure if that replies to the DW, but it usually applies to most planers, jointers, etc.

Welcome to the Ridgid forum,

CWS

Comment

I purchased an R4331 about a month ago myself, while this is my first planer to own, not use, i was really going to save up and get the DW735, but i was in homedepot and they had it down to $259. at that price i couldnt justify the price difference between the two.
                i've never used the DW735 so i cant compaire the two myself but after owning the ridgid for about a month i decided to keep it and am happy. most of the time i get very limited snipe, and if you are doing several short boards just feed them constantly end to end and you wont get snipe except on the first and last board for which i try to use a scrap piece for that then i have no snipe on any good boards.
                i've also made a jig to sharpen the knives with sandpaper that i seen on another website. which is good for the dewalt blades also. it's similar to the deulen jig for which you can check out here. Deulen Tools - Home i made mine a full 13" long to fully support the thin blades.

i would say if you do alot of planing i would lean towards getting the dw735, but as a weekend hobbiest the R4331 so far has been a good machine for me.

and i have not had the issue the OP had with mine shutting down. i have ran 7" wide 8-9' long oak boards roughing at 1/16 deep without issue so far. i normally do 1/64-1/32 but have read of the shutdown issue elseware also and wanted to see for myself.

Comment

Originally posted by StephenHall View Post
                  Wow! This is quite a friendly forum! Sorry to ask a question. I was just trying to learn. It will not happen again. By the way, if you had actually bothered to READ MY POST you would have seen that I WAS NOT challenging anyone but simply trying to learn! Thanks for the friendly welcome.

--Stephen
                  Stephen - It's not "the forum"....it's one response from one person on the forum....not at all representative of the whole. Ask any question you like...we'll answer if we can.

Comment

I also have the DeWalt DW735.
                    What sold me was the fact it has 3 blades while many other planers only have two.

Yes replacement blades are expensive, but using the tool carefully you can plane
                    a lot of board feet. I also have the DeWalt out feed tables and that really improves
                    the planer operation..Yes you can build your own but the factory ones fit nicely.

Now I don't use the planer as much as some here but I estimate I can get a year
                    or two out of a set of blades. Also often replacement blades are on sale at
                    Lowe's or Amazon.com.

Now regarding the Ridgid R888 18V planer....what's up with Home Depot discontinuing
                    replacement blades? Ridgid parts does not have them either! I did find some [overpriced]
                    on Amazon.com!!!!!!!

Cactus Man

All planers require a learning curve. My first runs had snipe etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Big G View Post
                      Mr. Hall, if you admittedly don't know anything about planers then do your own homework rather than question what the members here (who do know something) have to offer. There are reasons why the wood working mags, etc., all choose the DW735 as "Best Tool"!
                      Had mine since 08 and same blades.
                      Big G
                      There is nothing wrong with his questioning my comments, nothing at all as far as I am concerned. I have seen few if any negative reviews of the 735 but that does not mean they are not out there. I do get some snipe sometimes. I found that by angling the piece as it enters the planer that snipe is zero. I have the bed extensions but still see it at times. I have gotten good milage out of the Dewalt blades except on cherry which is tough on blades. I have thought of converting over to the spiral segmented head but i wonder if its worth the price for this planer or any for that matter. I don't hink I push enough wood through it to justify the expense. I can buy about 20 sets of blades formthe price of the spiral head.

And my comment that if you had been here and read other posts was not meant to be negative, just if he had been on here longer he would have seen other threads about the ridgid and other make planers.

I too chkose it for the three blades. I think it was the only one at the time. I've had my DW-735 for over 6 years. I would only part with it if i had the room and money to move up to a bigger planer like a 15 or 20 inch, 220v machine.
                      Last edited by Bob D.; 12-03-2012, 08:34 PM.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      ---------
                      ---------

Comment

Just trying to stick up for the many, very experienced folks on this site, such as Mr. Bob D............
                        Didn't mean to cause so much discontent?

I hope this helps,
                        Big G

Comment

Greetings,

I hope that I did not cause too much of a ruckus here as that was not my intent at all. I simply saw that Bob D.'s post count was well over 6000 and thought there was somebody that probably knew what he was talking about. Since he was indicating experience that was counter to what I had seen in the reviews that I had seen, I decided that it would be good to ask him. I did try to search the forums first and found all of one thread that had replies that discussed the R4331. That thread did not seem to be down on the R4331 and indicated that the DeWalt machine was good too. I did only search the woodworking forum and not the power tools forum and I used R4331 as my search term. I had looked for reviews of the DeWalt machine based on what I saw in that thread and found some reviews on the DeWalt site (I think it was there). Anyway the reviews were very overwhelmingly down on the machine due to the blades not lasting very long (actually, they seemed to like the machine but just not the blades). I will freely admit that I am a rank amateur at wood working so I like to look to people that know what they are talking about for purchasing advice. I have always believed that just because you are new at something is no excuse to settle for poor quality tools. I try to buy good tools and that philosophy has generally served me well. It sounds like I should keep saving for the DeWalt machine as you guys seem to favor it. Given that I a am newbie the blade issue (if it exists) may not be an issue for me as I am sure that I will not be pushing nearly as many board feet per year through it as most of you do.

As far as the forum not being friendly I guess I over-reacted a bit. However the first answer to my first post seemed to me to be a scathing reply. I see that it was not meant that way and I look forward to further discussions.

--Stephen

Comment

Originally posted by StephenHall View Post
                            Greetings,

I hope that I did not cause too much of a ruckus here as that was not my intent at all. I simply saw that Bob D.'s post count was well over 6000 and thought there was somebody that probably knew what he was talking about. Since he was indicating experience that was counter to what I had seen in the reviews that I had seen, I decided that it would be good to ask him. I did try to search the forums first and found all of one thread that had replies that discussed the R4331. That thread did not seem to be down on the R4331 and indicated that the DeWalt machine was good too. I did only search the woodworking forum and not the power tools forum and I used R4331 as my search term. I had looked for reviews of the DeWalt machine based on what I saw in that thread and found some reviews on the DeWalt site (I think it was there). Anyway the reviews were very overwhelmingly down on the machine due to the blades not lasting very long (actually, they seemed to like the machine but just not the blades). I will freely admit that I am a rank amateur at wood working so I like to look to people that know what they are talking about for purchasing advice. I have always believed that just because you are new at something is no excuse to settle for poor quality tools. I try to buy good tools and that philosophy has generally served me well. It sounds like I should keep saving for the DeWalt machine as you guys seem to favor it. Given that I a am newbie the blade issue (if it exists) may not be an issue for me as I am sure that I will not be pushing nearly as many board feet per year through it as most of you do.

As far as the forum not being friendly I guess I over-reacted a bit. However the first answer to my first post seemed to me to be a scathing reply. I see that it was not meant that way and I look forward to further discussions.

--Stephen

Hi Stephen, I for one believe a bit of diplomacy goes a long ways on any forum, regardless of one's post count. Albeit, there seems to be some experience here, just a quiet forum compared to others.

As for ridgid tools, I personally like them, just needed a dependable planer. Checkout lumberjocks.com, woodworkingtalk.com and several others, there are tons of intel indicating the capability of the dw735. As for blades, I'm running a week with my planer, daily (weeknights/weekends) use, I don't woodwork for a living, rather I think I turned into a little Santa Christmas elf building wooden gifts for family, aye yae yae! Anyway, for mild use the ridgid 4331 may be ok, I just couldn't deal with it tripping on 2x2 soft pine every couple minutes, that's silly for a brand new tool. I did like the feed better on the ridgid, but think it's just my learning the dewalt, which I haven't had as much an issue last couple days. The board would sometimes just stop which turns out I was barely planing a 32" haha...well the feeds likely had nothing to grip is my theory.

Keep asking questions sir and I appreciate all the experienced craftsman stepping in and posting at least something in this discussion.

Happy woodworking and shop around do several reviews!

Comment

Welcome to all new comers and please remember that what someone puts in print sometimes gets read completely different by the reader. What i mean by that is THEY think they have been clear in describing something but to another it may not be so obvious. Also, remember that it could be a day or more before someone checks back in here to see a comment to their earlier post so don't misinterpret their silence for disagreement.

As far as 6000+ posts, proves nothing except I spend more time in the forum than I probably should and not enough in the shop.
                              ---------------
                              ---------------
                              ---------
                              ---------

Comment

Working...
                              X