height for a bar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• height for a bar

Just like the subject says. What is the height for a bar top? I believe that it is 3 feet, but not sure.

I would think that somewhere in the neighborhood of 4' would be a comfortable height for most of your average barflys to lean against.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

Never make a bar higher off the floor than the distance you're willing to fall.

Comment

Typical bar height is 42" but can range from 36" to 42", width range is 18" - 30", foot rail is 8"
        While I was verifying this info I came across a really good website ShortCuts by Graham McCulloch
        He wrote an article #403 on Bar heights etc. It is no longer available on the site but I bet he would email it to you if you asked.
        The site also has some Ridgid Tool Reviews and news of the new Ridgid Worm Drive Saw.
        Sample drawing from another site

Comment

Mine is 42" to top of counter - just right [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Here are the standards you are looking for:
            An eating bar can be set at 30", 36", or 42" AFF (Above Finished Floor).
            A 30" bar is table-top height, and can be used with a standard 17" chair. Allow 18" min. depth for kneespace, 24" min. width per person.
            A 36" bar is kitchen counter height, and can be used with a 24" stool. Allow 15" min. depth for kneespace, 24" min. width per person.
            A 42" bar is raised-bar height, and can be used with a 30" high stool, or can be used as a comfortable leaning height. Allow 12" min. depth for kneespace, 24" min. width per person.
            Some bars have been constructed at 48" AFF, but are uncomfortable for leaning, and require a built-up landing if stools are used. This can be dangerous, and has resulted in many falls and injuries.
            If it don\'t fit, force it. If it breaks, \'needed fixin\' anyhow. 8{~

Comment

Working...
            X