X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pine Finish - The yellowing Color

What color or kind of stain or finish will make white pine have a golden yellow color? I have tried every stain colors that you regular building supply house carriers and I can't get that color that the pine furniture in the stores have. I have a few pieces and a made a piece of furniture and I need to match it. Please help me!

My personal experience has been with golden oak and tung oil for the desired results. Good luck!

------------------

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Twescott:
      What color or kind of stain or finish will make white pine have a golden yellow color? I have tried every stain colors that you regular building supply house carriers and I can't get that color that the pine furniture in the stores have. I have a few pieces and a made a piece of furniture and I need to match it. Please help me!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Twescott, I have built lots of pine furniture, kitchen cabinets, and have trimmed the interior of my house with pine. I'm a bit of a purest, and like the 'oil and wax' type of finish. I use a Varathan product called "Natural Oil Finish", a wipe on, wipe off type product, quick drying (overnight) and then follow up after a week of 'curing' with a light paste wax buffing. The end results are great, but with time (and sunlight) the finish 'ages' to a beautiful golden honey color. Note: the finish will be a soft satin luster (specially if you follow up with the wax) and most important, doesn't have that 'plastic finish' look. Also, tung oil or linseed oil works well too, but the Varathan product is by far the easiest. Caution: don't 'flood' you work with the stuff. Use a rag, wipe it on, do another light finish coat 20 minutes later, and leave it to dry over night. Good luck! Jules

Comment

Re: Pine Finish - The yellowing Color

Bathing pine in ammonia will yellow it, I have used just a spray bottle and keeping it wet with ammonia all day did what I needed Good luck

Comment

I've just applied polyurethane (oil-based). It will bring out the yellow of the pine almost immediately, but my "perception" of yellow and yours might well differ. Take a rag and dampen it will mineral spirits and wipe down a piece of your pine and see if that's the color you are looking for.

With water-based poly, it will dry clear and there should be little or no coloration for the wood, regardless of species. But with oil-bases finishes, there will be a darkening or yellowing of the finish. Likewise with shellac or even a yellowing wax. With oil-based poly, the "yellow" will darken over time.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Blonde shellac.
            Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

What KenM said................

Comment

FIrst, are you using SYP (southern yellow pine) or SPF (spruce, pine or fir)? It makes a difference. SYP is only available here in boards 8" wide or more, and then you have to double check. This is what most of the furniture store pine pieces are made of (which is why it is getting harder to find in the wood stores, as all of it is going to China).

IF using SYP:

First try just wiping with mineral spirits. If thats the color, than that will be what any wet clear finish will give you. Need more yellow? A three part mix of linseed oil, clear varnish, and mineral spirits make a nice wipe-on finish that's hard to screw up. Need a little more darkness in the grain? Minwax Golden oak stain first and then the wipe-one will give a color that matches much of the "oak-finished" furniture. However, some is darker in the grain and may match better to the provincial stain.

If using SPF, you may want blonde or even orange shellac. The "Natural" stain is probably a good bet to get the SPF to mimic the SYP. However, if you want the grain darker, you will need to stain again with the Golden Oak , etc, first. Hope you have some scraps for test pieces.

Go
                Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
                X