Varnish

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Varnish

I bought a brand new case of Sherwin Williams Varnish for my business card.......(I put it in a big jar and I won)
    Now my question is can I use this varnish which is a gloss finish and make it somehow a semigloss or a satin finish?
    Since I did not purchase it I cannot exchange it.......
    Any suggestions?

Here are a few ideas:
    1- Go to an automotive paint supply and get some "flatting agent" and keep adding a little by little until you get the desired sheen.
    2- While there get some rubbing compound and/or polishing compiund and remove the shine until you get the effect you want. Be careful of edges or you could rub through.
    3- Use 0000 steel wool after the varnish has cured to adjust the sheen to you liking.
    4- Use a soft damp rag and rottenstone to rub it out to the desired sheed.

Comment

I wouldn't use the automotive 'flattening agent' if I were you. Adding any 'contaminent' to the varnish will only reduce its effectiveness, and my cause some unwanted results (cracking, cloudyness, etc).

Try the 0000 steel wool and elbow grease. This will reduce/remove the sheen, and will leave a dusty white residue. Dampen (only slightly) a rag with mineral spirits and a drop (only one) of mineral oil. Use this charged rag to buff it back to a satin finish. Hard work, but well woth the effort.

Cheers, Jules

Comment

I wouldn't use the automotive 'flattening agent' if I were you. Adding any 'contaminent' to the varnish will only reduce its effectiveness, and my cause some unwanted results (cracking, cloudyness, etc).

Try the 0000 steel wool and elbow grease. This will reduce/remove the sheen, and will leave a dusty white residue. Dampen (only slightly) a rag with mineral spirits and a drop (only one) of mineral oil. Use this charged rag to buff it back to a satin finish. Hard work, but well worth the effort.

Cheers, Jules

Comment

Working...
        X