No announcement yet.

Installing grease zerks in TS2424

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Installing grease zerks in TS2424

    Yesterday I trundled off to a Woodcraft store 110 miles away because I needed 100 pockethole screws, and ended up bringing home a dial indicator-based adjustment tool called A Line It. Seems to be a very useful and versatile tool.

    One of the strong points of the kit is the instruction shown on an included video. And one of the points of emphasis is the need for, and the technique to, install grease zerks (Dave Arbuckle, is that correct terminology?) at the articulation joints in the blade elevation mechanism.

    The demonstration is on an old Craftsman saw, and the interior looks pretty familiar to me.

    How many of you think it's important, or just might be a good idea, to put these zerks in?

    BTW, later on when I've actually used the alignment tools some, I'll come back with my opinions.

    And, I've never chimed in before on the discussions about zero-clearance inserts, but I've enjoyed mine (from Woodcraft, too, model CR-1) so much that I got another yesterday. Well, maybe I did need more than just those 100 screws.

    Didn't mean to get this chatty when I started; fingers just took over. I'm outa here now.

    Happy holidays to all...


  • #2
    They're called Zerk fittings. I've always assumed Zerk is who invented them.

    I can't imagine why it would be important on the elevator. All a Zerk does is give a standard fitting for a pressurized grease gun, for parts that are under a lot of movement like automotive ball joints and therefore need to be lubricated often and well. I don't jack the blade up and down on my saw enough for it to even matter if it was lubricated. [img]smile.gif[/img]

    Hot dog, internet search pays off!

    "Zerk -- A Zerk fitting is an old-fashioned term that decribes a grease fitting through which grease is injected into a ball joint or tie rod end from a pressurized lubrication unit such as a grease gun. A grease fitting contains a one-way check valve that allows grease to flow into the chassis part but blocks the flow of grease out of the joint. The term "Zerk" comes from the name of the inventor, Oscar U. Zerk, an employeee of the Alamite Corporation in the 1920s. A grease fitting is also called an "Alamite fitting" because the company manufactured pressurized lubrication equipment. See Alamite fitting."

    Not sure how excited I am that they call it "old fashioned", that's the only thing I ever heard it called.

    Getting old?


    • #3
      Yes, Dave, we are. But consider the alternative...



      • #4
        I am with Dave on this one, I just don't see a person raising and lowering the blade enough to justify a grease fitting. If you were to pump a large amount of grease into say the arbor housing pivot point, that would just be one more thing that would attract and hold sawdust. Finally the if you grease the elevation crank shaft, it my lube the oring that keeps the crank from turning due to vibration.