X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting V-Blocks

Several jigs call for the use of a long V-block (for holding dowel rods to drill a transverse hole, for example). However I cannot think of a way to cut one that doesn't leave the V-shaped piece being removed lying loose under the spinning saw blade, which begs for a dangerous kickback. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here. Can someone advise me?

Re: Cutting V-Blocks

Terryb, I just made a few different sizes with my band saw. Pretty safe that way.
    A small handsaw would work if you don't have access to a bandsaw.

Big G

Comment

Don't cut all the way through...stop short about an inch on both cuts. Then just miter the uncut section off.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

make the cut and use a block to finish the cut through the saw, the loose piece will just ride along, and use push stick or blocks if some thing does happen your hand will not go into the blade, (Keep your hand away from the blade), and when gliding or pushing a piece through the saw, I hook my index and little finger over the fence if near the blade so if the wood does exit with out permission, my hand is locked on to something that will not let it pull or drop into the blade,

make the block longer than necessary and cut apart to length wanted, if you need 2" long blocks make the block say 12' long and cut into 2" vee blocks after forming it,

and one more do not cut full depth of the Vee, so it leaves the Vee attached to the block (just a 1/16 or 1/8") and then break out the Vee and raise the blade and run it through again taking out the bottom but since your only removing basicly saw dust there will be very little to kick back,
        Last edited by BHD; 12-04-2012, 11:30 AM.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

BHD nailed it.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            Don't cut all the way through...stop short about an inch on both cuts. Then just miter the uncut section off.
            You are one smart Guy ! Are You sure You're not a Marine ?
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
            X