X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill relitivly accurate angles?????

I am working on a post and beam barn and need helpfulll hints about how I can drill pilot holes for lag bolts into the 4*6 braces. Braces are at 45 degres to the posts. I have Ridgid hammer drill with a depth stop. Can I rig that some way to help me drill an accurate 45 degree pilot hole?
    Thanks for any help.
    KC

KCThree,

A couple of things come to mind. First, you could use your miter saw (or other accurate miter gauge on your table saw) to cut yourself a 45 degree block to act as a guide. Or, you can buy a drill guide from Grizzly, Rockler, of Sears that would act as sort of a portable drill press and allow you to drill fairly precise holes up to 45 degrees. You don't mention the diameter of the holes you are drilling, but the latter has a 3/8-inch chuck.

Basically, this tool consists of an aluminum base with auxilliary handle, two guide bars, and a sliding guide with drill chuck and driver shaft which your drill chuck grips. The base is adjustble for angle and the guide bars ensure positive centering as the drill is fastened to the sliding guide. It is really a nice tool for outside work and is a great help for accurate drilling. It also has an adjustable depth stop. I've built quite a few things with mine including decks, benches, etc. Certainly the next best thing to an actual drill press (and a lot easier to carry!).

Sears Craftsman (item # 967173) has the best price at around $26 and whether Grizzly, Rockler, or Sears, they all appear to be the same unit which I believe is made by "General". If you want to know the Grizzly or Rockler numbers, let me know and I will look them up for you.

I hope this helps,

CWS

[ 10-26-2004, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: CWSmith ]

Comment

Little advice using the drill. I have the same one and it is very powerful. I have broke quite a few lag bolts and it is quite frustrating since if it breaks and youhave no tip to unscrew it out with pliers you are toast.

Be sure to lower the torque when drilling in the bold.
      Are you Rapture ready? Know Jesus Christ or know his enemy!

Comment

ManHusbandFather,

Noting your comment regarding breaking off lag bolts. I don't know where you are buying your hardware, but I'd check around for another source. When I built my deck, I purchased all of my hardware from one of the local supply stores and had absolutely no problem. Unfortunately, I miscalculated and found myself short a couple of bolts and rather than run across town, I went to a different supplier who was closer. Everything that I purchased from him snapped off.

Doing some investigation, I found that a lot of bolts do not meet specifications, and much of this was from imported suppliers. This is a nationwide problem that has been going on for years. It is so bad that the company that I am retired from, now does metalurgical checks on all fasteners even though they may be from certified suppliers. Ask your supplier to see if he knows whether his fasteners are up to spec. A bolt or nut should never just snap off unless it is corroded or heated to a point where it looses its temper.

[ 10-28-2004, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: CWSmith ]

Comment

Thanks CWSmith.

I will check it out. I didn't know that!
          Are you Rapture ready? Know Jesus Christ or know his enemy!

Comment

When driving big lag screws, I was taught either to drag them across the face of a bar of soap or drag them across the face of a piece of the toilet drain wax ring. This makes driving easier, reduces wear and tear on the tool, and reduces excessive torque on the lag screw. Another guy I know puts a drop of dishwashing detergent in a tall glass of water and dips the screws before driving them.

Comment

Working...
            X