No announcement yet.

Chair Rail Molding

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Chair Rail Molding

    I'm placing chair rail molding throughout my basement bedroom. I bought the Ridgid 10" miter saw. Its awesome. I'm having a problem with an inside corner that is not 90 degrees. How do I measure the corner and get an accurate cut on my miter saw?
    Tom Ahlers

  • #2
    if you are going from an inside corner to inside corner you need to go from long to long if you are doing an out side corner to out side corner you from short to short and if doing an inside to outside corner you go from long to short i hope this helps
    9/11/01, never forget.


    • #3
      i am sorry i miss read your question.the most common ones are 90 45 and 22.5 there is also a tool thought the name esapes me at the moment but is very simple it is a peace of wood or plastic with a metel blade the blade sivels and a wing nut holds it in place i hope you or some one else knows what i am talking about
      9/11/01, never forget.


      • #4

        What OSC is talking about is a sliding bevel guage. Like he described, it's a metal blade with a slot cut through about half its length and it is held into the end of a slotted handle. With the nut loosened, you open it to fit into the corner with the blade resting against one wall and the handle against the other... you tighten teh nut and then have a perfect representation of the corner angle. You then hold it against a either a guage (marked plate) made for that purpose (and costing extra) or you use a protractor, to determine the exact degree of your corner angle.

        This is an essential tool for doing any kind of miter work. You can buy a fairly inexpensive one from Home Depot (they carry the Empire brand) or you could order one of the more decorative devices which are often made of brass and a good quality hardwood. They both work the same.

        Good luck on your project,



        • #5
          thank you cwsmith i really could not remember that tools name last night to save my life but i did remember it this morning though but you had already beat me to it
          9/11/01, never forget.


          • #6
            CWS has the necessary info. If you don't have a protractor, or one with reasonably long legs, try using the protractor on the miter saw. I've done that a number of times with good results.

            After measuring the angle of the wall, lay the bevel gauge on the saw's table and swing the blade to align with the bevel gauge's blade, then read off the angle. Of course the angle you cut will be 1/2 of the angle you read from the protrator.


            • #7
              If you have trouble finding that tool looking for it as a sliding bevel guage, some manufacturers market it calling it a T-Bevel.
              I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.