Gun Vise Plans?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun Vise Plans?

Anyone build a gun vise or have a source for free plans for one?

Yes I have done a Google search but I am interested to hear what people
    here have built or what they like/dislike about various features that I might
    want to include in mine.

thanks.
    Last edited by Bob D.; 12-19-2012, 05:14 AM.
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Re: Gun Vise Plans?

Well I found one that I am using as a guide in building my own. I am following
    the design pretty faithfully but have changed some dimensions and the shape
    of some parts to ones that are more pleasing to my eye.

I wonder what is a good finish to use as cleaning solvent will most likely take off
    just about any normal paint or varnish. Any ideas?

Comment

I can't wait to see pics of your vise when you're finished(hint, hint).
      ================================================== ====
      All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Bob, you should try a Google search but click on images to get some ideas. I just did it, and there was some neat ones built out of wood.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
          Bob, you should try a Google search but click on images to get some ideas. I just did it, and there was some neat ones built out of wood.
          I did Flux and I am using one of those as a starting point for mine. I couldn't find anything on finishes that will hold up though. I working on a prototype getting dimensions right and working out assembly and such.

Name:  efad534d9c5405051bf475987c634779.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  115.8 KB

There will be a base under this that will add some mass to the vise and that area that you see cut out will be a tray to hold tools and such.

The three 2-1/4" holes will have felt or leather in the bottom and are to holds small parts and screws. I need to locate some leather to line the surfaces that will contact the stock and barrel to get a better grip and so they won't get scratched up. I read on one of the sites I researched that some good leather was found by visiting a Goodwill store and buying an old leather coat. I may try that as a source. Can probably pick up a sq yard there for much less than a couple SF from a craft store.

I need to play with the location of the pivot point on the cam lock lever to get the tension right. I'll probably end up making one or two more levers before I get it right. The shape of the cam and the location of the pivot need to be right to get a good clamping action that will accomodate a variety of gunstocks.
          Last edited by Bob D.; 12-19-2012, 05:13 AM.

Comment

if you're not interested in seeing the wood, try brush-on truck bed liner. it provides a durable chemical resistant finish and the roughness will provide a slip resistant grip.
            ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I tihnk I need to make it longer, or maybe adjustable on the end that suports the barrel. I tried my 870 in there and the forestock hits the support and I would like it be forward a bit more and supporting the barrel so I could operate the action while cleaning, etc. Its fine for the Rem 514 though.

Maybe I'll make it a foot longer and look at various ways of making it adjustable in length such as using a T-track buried in the base. I think its kinda short for a longer barrel like the AL391 Teknys.

Comment

Working...
              X