X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650 Problems!

I just purchased the TS3650 after reading it's decent review in the latest edition of Fine Woodworking. I'm surprised they did not mention the problem that I discovered (unless I'm missing something!!) After stacking 2 dado blades (the two outers in the set for a 1/4" cut)I noticed that one blade cut about 1/16" deeper than the other. I noticed that if a single blade is used, it sits on a "shoulder" on the arbour. It fits very snug there. The other blade sits between the shoulder and the threads in a "dead zone" that has a different diameter than the shoulder making the blade spin off center-and deeper. I was not a happy camper. I put a piece of tape on the arbour to make up the slop-better, but not perfect. Anyone ever experienced this? I'm about ready to return it if they cannot do something about it. Maybe I just got a defective unit that never should have passed their quality controls. Thanks!

I've stacked up to 3/4" of dado blades on my saw and I have never encountered what you're saying. If indeed, there is an extra "shoulder" on the arbor shaft, there is definitely something wrong.

Just out of curiosity, could it be your dado blades that are out-of-whack? If you put the right side dado blade on first, is there still some slop, or does it fit securely on the shoulder?

Jim

Comment

Look thru older messages about dado blades. I recall someone else with this issue. It was one on the concerns I had about the saw, hence I went for another saw.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. My dado inside diameters are exactly .625" on both blades (nice Delta blades)The arbor measures .625 on the "shoulder" where one blade sits. About 1/8" away (where the second blade sits) the diam. is .530"! This area is between where the threads end, and the "shoulder" begins. I called tech service and the winner told me to try and hold the blade "centered" while tightening. Should I really have to do that??? He said to mention it when I send the warranty info back and they'd look into it. Yeah, right.

Comment

I've done a ton of ΒΌ" dados with my RIDGID TS and have never experienced the problem you described. The "shoulder" you talked about on my saw is at the exact same height as the top of the threaded portion of my arbor. If yours isn't, although I don't know what would cause it not to be, then I think you have a warranty claim.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I think you're right! I found old posts describing the exact problem that I have. Rigid sent free arbor replacements for the screwed up arbors. My second blade floats .030"! If they don't remidy this, it's going back. Other than that, seems like a great saw. Oh well!

Comment

Hope they work it out for you. The product is usually good, its the customer support that this forum has pounded on the most. The oddest one was the guy who couldn't find a couple of the stand legs in the box and called cs. About 6mons later if I remember correctly he got his legs. He was okay though because he went back and looked in the package again and found them. I went with a Grizzly myself and have never looked back. I am considering the 1300ls planner currently.

Comment

I have had my TS3650 for about 5 weeks now, and love it - except for one thing: DADO problem.

I agree 100% with Strong330 about the arbor problem. There is definitely a "recess" in the 5/8" arbor on mine too, about 1/8" out from the arbor flange. This recess is about 1/8" wide. The threaded portion of the arbor is a true 5/8" diameter, as is the 1/8" shoulder next to the arbor flange. This design has no effect on a single 10" saw blade, which sits on that 1/8" shoulder, but it sure affects the use of a stacked dado set. Any blade or chipper that lies over the recessed area will not line up true with the rest of the dado blades.

This amazed me, so I also called RIDGID support. They were immediately familiar with the problem, and said that the design was "inherited from Emerson", but that there was no plan in the works to change it. RIDGID suggests the use of a wobble dado set, or an adjustable set, like Freud makes. But a stackable dado set will not work right. To compound the issue, several on this forum have advised against the use of wobble dado sets.

To me, this is a major problem, as building bookshelves was a major reason that I purchased the saw. I had planned to make 3/4" dados on my saw. I realize I can make these with my router, but COME ON RIDGID! This is a major problem and oversight, and should be fixed.

I'm surprised by the number of people that say they have had no problems in using a stacked dado set. I even read a thread that indicated this design problem even existed on the TS2412. RIDGID must be changing designs back and forth.

I am open to any suggestions or information from anyone who knows about this issue. Bob Dueker, if you are out there, HELP!
                There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Comment

If it was me I would likely pack it up and return it but I also know you guys spent a good deal of time setting it up and the thing is heavy. Has anyone looked at the possibility of changing the mandrel? I don't own a 3650 but I thought I would toss out the idea for discussion

Comment

The service guys said all their arbors are the same-messed up ones. I'm a quality engineer for a large company. When we get a customer complaint, we jump through hoops to remidy the situation, no matter what!! Call the machine shop, change the print!! FIX THE PROBLEM!! I'm writing to Fine Woodworking Mag, (where I heard about this) and slamming Rigid. I am going to bring it back to Home Depot, partly assembled, enough to lighten the load, missing the box (already threw it out!), fence and leafs in a pile. What a dissapointment. I'm done with Rigid. The main reason I bought this saw was for dados.

Comment

Thanks for the input, I was going to buy one of these to put into my shop. I have tho 2400ls I have been using in my shop and on site and am more than happy with it. I think will look at the Jet or Grizzly tablesaws for my shop.( I hear rumors that HD is going to start carring Delta has anyone else heard this?)

John

Comment

Don't know if HD is going to carry Delta, but Lowes already does. BTW, Grizzly 444z is hard bargain to beat with a 2hp motor. It runs a stacked dado (probably any dado) as smooth as it runs a single blade.

Comment

Gad----yes, Ridgid/Emerson had this problem to some extent or the other, including my old Emerson-built Craftsman. BUT, Emerson fixed the problem and when you bought a replacement arbor, it was properly dimensioned. It never ceases to amaze me that these new owners seem to be starting from scratch when it comes to problems, parts, etc. They were so insistant on replacing the highly rated 3612 and then use a flawed arbor design.
                          Dave

Comment

Yeah, I have a 3612 and have never had problem. Always wondered why the new model so soon. Seems the could have offered improvements to the 3612.

Comment

Back on The old Ts 2424 Ridgid had the same promblem.
                              Andy B.

Comment

Working...
                              X