X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dovetail a Day

Has anyone else taken this plan on? I just started yesterday in an effort to build on my handtool skills. These are pretty fun to do and are a great way to spend some time focusing and thinking.

Here are my Day One efforts.

Second Wind Workshop: Day One Dovetails
    Attached Files
    Pete
    My Blog - Second Wind Workshop
    http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.com/

Re: Dovetail a Day

I have only tried dovetails with a machine once. I never attempted them by hand yet. It looks like with just another dovetail or two you,ll have it down.

Comment

Good job, Pete. It's a real feeling of accomplishment to master dovetail joinery.
      Might I suggest that you cut the pins and tails so that they are a little proud of the box sides.
      It's easier to sand or scrape them flush than to sand or scrape the entire box sides.

Comment

Oh my goodness, I give you a lot of credit. The tails and pins are looking very good! I tried dovetail joints (by hand) a while back. I tried and tried but could not get them to fit. I even tried some of the standard dovetail jigs yet they couldn't do what I wanted them to do (make large panels). Finally, I found a dovetail template I could work with and make perfect dovetails every time and quickly. I could make large panels with unlimited widths. I uploaded my first project and a pic of the template. I have a standard 12" jig for drawers that's pretty easy to work with as well.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jimshoe52 View Post
          Oh my goodness, I give you a lot of credit. The tails and pins are looking very good! I tried dovetail joints (by hand) a while back. I tried and tried but could not get them to fit. I even tried some of the standard dovetail jigs yet they couldn't do what I wanted them to do (make large panels). Finally, I found a dovetail template I could work with and make perfect dovetails every time and quickly. I could make large panels with unlimited widths. I uploaded my first project and a pic of the template. I have a standard 12" jig for drawers that's pretty easy to work with as well.

When I first tried dovetailing, I did it manually and it was awful. Then I discovered that there are templates like this available and I never worried about my wood not fitting with the other. I wish I have kept my work to show how epic they looked. LOL I loved dovetailing since then. It secures boxes like no other. They can even stand even without placing glue on them.I am now planning to buy dovetail jigs. They look easier to use than the templates that I do have. - J.Sz

Comment

Working...
          X