X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radial Arm Saw

I was just ready to buy a radial arm saw and can't find any at our local HD's. I understand emmerson has recalled the craftsman radial arm saws and am guessing this is the reason they were discontiued. Does anyone know if a new model is in the works and if so when HD will have it?

Well, you got your rumors mixed up.

The Craftsman recall was on some older models----if you own one they'll send you a proper guard or give you a credit towards a new purchase. From what I heard, they were pretty good about following through. But, it's an older problem, now fixed.

With the new Ridgid, you're likely finding it's the store not willing to carry it. While the few times I saw one, there's not a thing wrong with the saw, it was just not a big seller.

If you want to see one before you buy it, I'd call or drop in at a few other HDs. If you're sure you want one, I'm sure HD could special order one, but make sure they aren't going to try and charge you for shipping----that just doesn't seem fair, since it is on their list of Ridgid tools.

BTW----The Ridgid is a nice, light duty saw and certainly a bargin compared to others available, but if you ever see about a 20-30 year old DeWalt RAS used, it would be worth checking out at well. Good luck.
    Dave

Comment

I have an old Craftsman 10" RAS, an never knew about the recall until I saw it mentioned here about 2 months ago. I thanks the forum member (sorry don't remember who it was now) who posted the recall info. I went to their website and entered the serial number of my saw along with name and address. 10 days later I had a big box at my door, with a new 1" MDF table top (all three pieces), new rails to mount the table, the new guard assembly and very clear instuctions on upgrading the RAS. In about an hour and a half, I had the new parts installed and was back in business. The guard looks almost identical to the one on the current Ridgid RAS, and functions well. Along with some time to clean up the saw and realign everything my 20 yr old 2.5 HP RAS is better then new (thanks to the improved guard and table top) and working fine.

There isn't anything the new Ridgid RAS can do that my Craftsman can I think, so since this was free it changed my mind about selling it and buying another. Actually, with a 12" SCMS I have little need for the RAS for cross-cutting, but there are some operations that a RAS can do that are not possible on a TS or SCMS, so I elected to do the free upgrade and hang on to it. If I had had to spend money to upgrade the guard, I would not have done it and either used the saw with the old, not so safe guard or sold it and put what little money I would have been able to get for it into some other tool. Since all I had to invest was a couple hours labor, I have kept it and still have the money to put towards some other tool, only problem is it takes up space in my limited shop area, but I can live with that for now. If I elect to sell it in the future at least I'll know it will be safer than originally designed and sold back in 1984.

Comment

I have my grandfathers 40 year old Yuba Saw Smith RAS. Most versitile RAS ever made. As some may have read a few weeks back, I just got it all cleaned up after having to replace the motor cord.

The Saw Smith is unique for several reasons. First it has a standard full sized motor instead of a RAS motor. That is because it has a varible speed clutch system with full duel arbors.

The best feature however is the floating table. The saw arm is longer as the table will pull out 8 1/2". This is wonderful when I have a molding head attached or am using it for horizontal boring or as an overhead router.

If you want a truely versital RAS, check out the used tool forum. People will have these for sale every once in a while. Either under the name of Magna, Yuba or the final producer, Shop Smith. And yes the local Shop Smith rep loved looking at the thing. He had never seen one, although he had heard about them. I am in the market for the band saw and jointer attachments that were made for this saw. I doubt that I would use them, but I would love to have the complete set.
        I came...<br /><br />I saw...<br /><br />I changed the plans.

Comment

GW, you might want to go to

http://www.oldwwmachines.com/MfgInde...791#PhotoIndex

and upload a photo of this machine, they don't have one in their database. I went there to see what it looked like but no pics available.

Comment

Take a look now. Photos uploaded.

Comment

Sorry, here is the link

http://www.oldwwmachines.com/PhotoIn...il.asp?id=1426

Comment

Re: Radial Arm Saw

I have just purchased one of these units and it came with a jointer attachment (in excellent condition) that I will not be using. Let me know if your still interested in aquiring this accessory and I will send more information. Jeff

Originally posted by G.W. View Post
                I have my grandfathers 40 year old Yuba Saw Smith RAS. Most versitile RAS ever made. As some may have read a few weeks back, I just got it all cleaned up after having to replace the motor cord.

The Saw Smith is unique for several reasons. First it has a standard full sized motor instead of a RAS motor. That is because it has a varible speed clutch system with full duel arbors.

The best feature however is the floating table. The saw arm is longer as the table will pull out 8 1/2". This is wonderful when I have a molding head attached or am using it for horizontal boring or as an overhead router.

If you want a truely versital RAS, check out the used tool forum. People will have these for sale every once in a while. Either under the name of Magna, Yuba or the final producer, Shop Smith. And yes the local Shop Smith rep loved looking at the thing. He had never seen one, although he had heard about them. I am in the market for the band saw and jointer attachments that were made for this saw. I doubt that I would use them, but I would love to have the complete set.

Comment

GW hasn't posted in over 3 years and this thread is over 4 years old so I doubt if you'll get a response.
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

And, I might add...

Ridgid no longer markets their own brand on a Radial Arm Saw. I believe the last was about three or four years ago.

Sears Craftsman still has a RAS, and I believe it is still made by Emerson Electric. Delta still makes one, but at a very hefty price. DeWalt (the originator) stopped their RAS production many years ago.

I love my 1974 Craftsman (also an Emerson) and appreciate it's features. But for the most part, the RAS has been replaced as a crosscut tool by the sliding compound miter saw. Much more portable, and less prone to misalignment issues.

CWS

Comment

actually there is a company that is still building and rebuilding the commercial and 'DE WALT" radial arm saw, I do not have the URL handy put there is one.
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                        actually there is a company that is still building and rebuilding the commercial and 'DE WALT" radial arm saw, I do not have the URL handy put there is one.
                        I believe it's Wolfe...

Comment

http://www.wolfemachinery.com/

Comment

the one I was thinking about was the

http://www.originalsaw.com/
                            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                            attributed to Samuel Johnson
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Yes, I agree... the radial has been largely replaced by the sliding compound miter saw. There are still some cases where the reach of the radial enables it to do things easier and quicker than with other tools. I don't use my 12" Dewalt as much as I used to but I still find myself going to it.

The thing about radials is, they're dangerous. Any time a blade can move, there is increased risk. And, the blade can "climb" onto the work and kick the carriage at the operator. Rip operations on the radial are scary as the blade is trying to lift the work off of the table. This is different than a tablesaw in a rip cut, where the blade is tending to hold the work down to the table. I broke my hand 23 years ago in a kickback accident while ripping. Now I almost never rip on the radial; the tablesaw is much safer. I suspect, in this litigious world, that product liability is a big reason why this saw style has been dropped by so many makers.

But I wouldn't give up mine, and fortunately you can get many parts from Wolfe Machinery. Original Saw manufactures RAS's that look to be based on Dewalts, but it's not clear to me that the parts are interchangeable.

-Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X