Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which cordless to buy

Hello.

I need a cordless drill but I don't know if I need the most powerfull expesnive one out there. It will mostly be used to drill screws in decking boards and joist hangers. I don't consider this as being heavy loads but I do want to be able to drill as much as possible without having to change the batterie too often. Should I go with the X2's or the regular ones? 18v or 14v? I like the Ridgid brand but if others are highly recommended over it I may go for em!
    Any thoughts on this matter would be great!

Also, I am still looking for the MSUV (miter saw utilily vehicle, anyone know if or when they will be avail. in Canada or where I can find it online in the US?

Thanks
    Are you Rapture ready? Know Jesus Christ or know his enemy!

First, as to Ridgid cordless products, all I will say is read through the posts on these boards to see the troubles people have had.

I can't speak for their other tools, but Makita cordless drills are tops in my book. I've also heard very good comments about Panasonic drills. Milwaulkee has also received good comments.

From what you're describing, I'd get at least the 14 v. model. I've had one for the past 8 years and it gets used in every ww'ing and home improvement project and is still going strong. I have found the occassional job where I needed a corded drill, but that's not too frequently. However, I just recently added an 18 v. to my collection, which does seem to have both more lasting power, and torque.

BTW---don't know if this deal is in Canada, but Makita has a promotion on their drills, which includes a free tool belt-----and believe me, this isn't some cheesey belt----top quality. Good luck.
    Dave

Comment

Buy it once..Really you will save money buy blowing money once instead of several times....I suggest if you "do it yourself" guy who spends over 20 hours a year doing things buy Milwaukee...rarely will anyone be dissapointed and your buying MOSTLY American made products...I'm a full time remodeler, take the advice...Though pick up the tools in your hand and see for yourself how the feel..

For your work I suggest an 18VLT ...plenty of power and torque. ALL OF THE DRILL ARE EXCELLENT, SEE WHICH ONE FEELS BETTER IN YOUR HAND...the Milwaukee is the lightest...the XRP is what is exciting contractors....The Ridgid is the most powerful.. and I personally like it the most for your specific application...I really frown apon Makita...they used to make the best stuff lately their stuff not up to snuff! I owned Panasonic..yes its good..but they are impossible to service if you have a problem NI-Mh batteries are super expensive and unlike NI-cd the ability to recharge numerous cycles...

Milwaukee Lok-Tor
      DeWalt XRP
      Ridgid X2

I own full combo sets by Rank
      1. Milwaukee
      2. Bosch
      3. Ridgid
      4. DeWalt (Old Style-New Combo Ranks #2)
      5. Makita (old stuff great, new combo packs garbage)

For more insight read reviews on packs at Amazon.com

[ 06-22-2004, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: paul v. ]

Comment

I just picked up the Dewalt XRP983. 3 speed transmission, VS Drill. 14.4 volt. True one handed chuck. From the other drills I have used this is the Best One I've tried.

The 14.4 is not too heavy, but still can drive that 3" deck screw with ease!

Good Luck,

Benttwigg

Comment

I have a couple things to add. 14.4v is the best when you look at power to weight ratio...for the weight or lack of...it has great power. I would rank the DeWalt first and their new ones are supposly even better. One thing to think about is when you are not using it to continue to give the batteries work...Tool batteries are alot like car batteries. If you let them sit there for a long time and do not use them, then they will seem to lose power and run time. So if this is only for home use make sure that once a week or more you go a run it just to keep the tool on its toes. And PS milwaukee is not an american company. The are owned by Atlas Co is which is some where in scandinavia. Very little if any of their tools are made in America. About the only company i know about is DeWalt. Bosch is Germany, Makita, Ridgid, and Porter Cable are made mostly in China. Not saying anything negative about the quality but if you want to by american then these tools are not the way to go and not all dewalt is either

Comment

Dewalt is supposedly the lightest as previously stated, but if price may be a concern a Craftsman is not a bad option.

Comment

manhusbandfather,
              You may want to be careful about screws in joist hangers. The rating of the hanger is based on joist hanger nails. Screws tend to be much more brittle and are generally much smaller diameter. The smaller the fastener, the less bearing surface you have in the wood. I'm not saying you can't get away with it, but I'd keep the loading very conservative - probably no more than 1/2 of the rated load of the hanger.

As far as the drill goes, I'd consider one with a flashlight or other tools you might use frequently. This can help with battery life. More batteries have probably died from lack of use than being worn out. I have a 7 year old Bosch 12V with original batteries and they still charge well. Don't leave a flashlight on overnight though. The battery will be run down in only 2 - 3 hours. Draining it beyond the point it starts to go dim may permanently damage it.

[ 06-22-2004, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: ByteButcher ]

Comment

I work on all of the above mentioned drills but the new ridgid(thats because hd swaps them out for right now)the dewalt as mentioned with the 3 speed transmission ranks in my book number 3, the makita is showing improvement but ranks4,the bosch brute is a good tool at 2,the one i like the best overall is the milw, loctor 18 or14 voltsand on the milw. you can switch the battery from front to back to get in tight spaces.and i like the loctor chuck the best. so it goes milw.,bosch, dewalt,makita.

Comment

mornin man..............

I agree with byte butcher, You don't want to screw in any joist hangers, the shear strength just isn't there in a screw. grab two pairs of pliers and you can snap the screw in half with your hands. And if your local building inspector happens to catch it you will be unscrewing each of them and using joist hanger nails.

Now onto the drill. I'm an old dewalt user and the 3-speed 18 is great. I'm not one of these read to see which has 300 more rpm's, and which magazine rates them. You don't have the same person testing for each magazine so ............
                  anyway, I'm slowly switching to Ridgid. I have never tried milwaukee, or makita, or a lot of the other brands mentioned on here. I just buy what i feel is good for me. I own 3 cordless kits (Dewalt) and they have been great. Everyone that uses them has wound up buying them for their own use. Well I broke down and bought me one of them ridgid kits, it is performin great. The bag that they come in "SUCKS", so I made a hard case for them. My guys use them a lot and the bag just don't offer any protection to the tools. Enough said, If you make the investment you have at least 90 days with most of them. buy it, try it, and keep it or move on
                  and good luck to you.

happy woodworkin guys

Comment

I have said it before and I will say it again...the HILTI SF-121A is the most incredible cordless i have ever came across. I would put my 12V Hilti up against any of your 14 or 18 volt cordless drills anyday, and with the exception probably of the milwaukee...would give you a run for your money! Would probably beat the milwaukee as well but wouild be close.

I just built a 15X20 deck and although i nailed the deck boards, i screwed the railing together, and one battery got me through 3/4 of the railing. I have never used a drill with this battery life and power
                    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Porter Cable makes the best cordless ive used (the 19.2 volt with excellent sawboss circ. saw). But i have heard bad things about milwaukee cordless, i like their magnum holeshooter corded, though.

Comment

hello space

I have a question, on that 15X20 deck handrail, how many screws did you drive into it? I'm not trying to start another battle here, however I use my dewalt 18 and my ridgid 18 to mix thinset for laying ceramic floor tile and I can usually mix enough to do at least a 15X20 floor, without changing a battery. I don't think a 14 v would be able to do that. If you are using a 1x6 for a handrail and put 3 screws every 12 inches on the handrail, your max on screws would be about 165 screws. If you set 3/4 of them, that would about 123 screws. I dont feel that is a large number of screws, that would drain an 18v drill. I haven't kept track of how many screws I have set in a row but I have enough confidence in most of the 18v or higher being able to match that number.

anyway that's just my opinion. Just wanted to get my 2 cents in i guess.

Happy woodworking guys

[ 07-01-2004, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: hammerman ]

Comment

Hello,
                          just thought I'd put my two cents in. I just purchased the dewalt 14.4 XRP and I am VERY impressed with the performance. The deciding factor was the problems I've heard just about everyone have with trying to get Ridgid to actually serve their customers. I have Several Ridgid woodworking tools that were made by Emerson and won't trade them for anything. Dewalt is now offering 3 warrenty with their product and the local tool repair place told me they won't even touch Ridgid woodworking tools anymore cause the company is impossible to work with. I'm sorry if I've torqued anyone off but to each his own, take it for what it's worth... Just my two cents.

Jason G.

[ 07-01-2004, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: tuff71 ]

Comment

hammerman

my rail was made by laying 2 2X4 flat, and using 2x2 treated pickets 4" apart. each picket required 2 screws the end and center pickets i used 4 to square up the rail. i then took two more 2x4 and sandwiched the pickets using another 6 screws.

the hilti amazed me.
                            \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

I think any of the big names make a good drill but you are going to pay. If you are not going to be uning this drill every day I would be carefull not to over-buy. A Craftsman or Ryobi might be all the drill that you need. I have a Craftsman 18v and it is a bit heavy but it is very powerful.I am beginning to hear a lot of good things about the new B&D firestorm.It is less than $75. I think that the new impact driver may be the best way to drive long screws. Check them out.

Comment

Working...
                              X