Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Something is eating my wood

Need help, not sure what to do..
    I have had this pine drying for about 2 years and have already built a bed from it about 1 year ago and did find some loose bark but really didn't think much of it. I didnt find any holes when I machined the wood for the bed.
    I pulled some down from the garage storage hangers and noticed little piles of sawdust :shock:
    Here is what I found. Under all the bits where there was some bark left on the board, the bark would almost fall off and under it the wood was just like powder with some worm tracks underneath the dust and then some holes bored into the wood. There are no tracks or holes except under the spots that have bark.
    This guy is alive about 1" in length and looks to be responsible for the tracks and holes. He is the only one I found

I got out my hand plane and went at one end that I amputated from the rest of what appears to be a bug free board and found this larvae in one of the holes. About 3/4" in length.

Here is an example of the wood tracks and holes

Anyone know what they are. What would you do? Cut out the parts that appear to have bark and holes or just burn the lot of it?
    Could I spray it down with malathion maybe?

Get it all out of the garage and strip off any remaining bark. Cut away any areas that are infected and spray the rest with an insectacide. Check your storage area real good to make sure there are not any there also. Not sure what they are besides hungery. LOL I normally let logs dry about 6 months with the bark on then remove it for the remainder of drying.
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Thanks Papadan, I did take it all down last night and stripped off the bits of bark that remained.
      With the help of a woodnetter I was able to find this site with a pic of my critter.
      Whitespotted sawyer
      Good news is the wood without bark and the wood that can have the tunneled pieces amputated (and burned) will be fine.
      I never worried about the bits of bark on rough boards, from now on it all comes off.

Comment

Well, now we know what they are. LOL A few years ago I lost some logs to termites. I had not debarked them and didn't se the little buggers eating away at them. By the time I found out they were a total loss.
        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Re: HELP! Something is eating my wood

Hi to all i would like to wooden hunger for hang clothes because it safe from junk and stick prints.

Comment

I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue.

Comment

Here in Florida we have the Powder Post Beetles. They do the same thing. Bore up from under the wood and leave piles of wood dust everywhere. It's only firewood, so it's no big deal, but these little guys can really move fast at eating wood.
              Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by speedbump View Post
                Here in Florida we have the Powder Post Beetles. They do the same thing. Bore up from under the wood and leave piles of wood dust everywhere. It's only firewood, so it's no big deal, but these little guys can really move fast at eating wood.
                It might be a big deal if you stage some wood inside the house adn don't burn it right away. They might decide they like the scent of your dining room table and take a few bites.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by allen copper View Post
                  Hi to all i would like to wooden hunger for hang clothes because it safe from junk and stick prints.
                  i would like to stick junk safe from hunger clothes hang prints
                  ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                    i would like to stick junk safe from hunger clothes hang prints
                    yeah, what he said ^^^
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

It might be a big deal if you stage some wood inside the house adn don't burn it right away. They might decide they like the scent of your dining room table and take a few bites.
                      No problem with that. The Termites have a standing deal with the Beatles. They don't eat firewood and the Beatles don't eat furniture.
                      Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X