X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crosscut sled

Well it is warming up and my workshop is about to come to life. One of the first things i plan to build is a crosscut sled for my 3612. I have several plans to chose from. None of them recommends material though. I am thinking of MDF for the base and some hardwood (probably oak) for the runners and the handle. Sound like the best way to go?
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

I used a piece of scrap Oak ply and Oak boards for the rails and fences.
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Baltic birch plywood seems to be a popular option. I prefer UHMW plastic runners (more stable). YMMV
      Lorax
      "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

I've built a couple of sleds. The first out of birch ply using aluminum runners, the second using 7/8" melamine and UHMW plastic runners. I like the second combo best...the ply warped a bit.

Comment

BB Ply and oak. Don't like composite for two reasons----very heavy and may tend to loosen up at fasteners.
          Dave

Comment

Plywood has gotten expensive around these parts. HD has Norboard on sale this week. 4X8 sheet is about 6 or 7 bucks. I was thinking of trying it? Use the "exterior side" down as it is slick and the rough side up?

Planned on using oak for the handles and hard wood for the miter slot runners until i can get around to upgrading to the plastic or aluminum rails that have been suggested. I know this will see a lot of use, should i not scrimp and just spend the money on the plywood?
            \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

I made my sled out of MDO (Medium Density Overlay.) This is the same material that they use to make road signs. It is very stable and last a loooooong time. The runner is made from quarter-sawn red oak.

I cut a 1/4" dado in the bottom of the sled to secure the runner firmly to the sled and my fence (also made of MDO) is attached to the top front edge of the sled and is held in place with counter-sunk (top & bottom) 1 1/4" carriage bolts washers and lock nuts.

"Been using it for 14 years now with no problems!"

[ 06-25-2005, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: CARPENTERDON ]
              Dimensional Carpentry & Custom Woodworking
              Historic Renovations, Restoration, & Custom Log Homes

I Beat The Competition Hammersdown!

Comment

I used a piece of 1/2" Birch plywood with plastic runners.
                Last edited by NewfGuy; 01-10-2006, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Engineering material with a difference

Tufnol, a couple of years ago I came across an old machine built in the UK, which had teflon lined tufnol sheet material 3/4" thick, as it was going to scrap I salvaged about 6 - 2' x 2' Pieces, when I developed my first sled with this stuf for my original home made router table, the result was shocking, the level of friction was almost zero, lots lower than plywood. The fence I use for this is 2 x 2 oak, At one end there is a pivot and at the other end there are a few holes which line up to 90, 60, 45 22.5 & 0 degrees, one recessed screw and a steel dowel on the underside locks the fence at whatever angle I need and there is a small T-track routed into the top face which holds toggle clamps. Its really good stuff, its like steel it can be drilled and tapped, never ever warps no matter what the temp or level of humidity is and its as light as a feather. But don't ask me where to get it. My find was pure luck and absolutely by chance, now I am making a new sled from this stuff for my 3650, when I first tried the material on ithe TS cast iron table it was like a hovercraft, with the bonus of being a 100% non-scratching material combination.

Comment

Not much in the way of a web site yet, under reconstruction it says, but there was a contact email;

mailto:tufnol@tufnol.co.uk

This site has a little more info;

http://www.bayplastics.co.uk/supplie...nol(intro).htm
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X