Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
TS3660, ts2440, or similar tablesaws Tilt Stop Screws measurements Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3660, ts2440, or similar tablesaws Tilt Stop Screws measurements

I am new to this forum and own a Craftsman 113.298240 tablesaw. I am restoring and upgrading at the same time. The Ridgid versions of this saw have features that I am currently adding to my saw. What I need is the measurements for the 90 and 45 degree stop screws on the top of the table. Would like the 45 screw measured from the left edge of the right miter slot to screw center and from the cast front edge to screw center. For the 90 degree screw need measurement from inside right edge of left miter to screw center and from front cast edge to screw center. I am going to drill these hole for the stop screws to eliminated the Craftsman stop collars on the adjusting shafts. Have already sent top out for "T" slot addition to miter slots. Saw is going to function well with all the Ridgid upgrades.
    Last edited by holybatcrap; 01-20-2013, 10:30 AM.

Re: TS3660, ts2440, or similar tablesaws Tilt Stop Screws measurements

ridgid never made a 2440 model TS. they made the 2412, 2424, 3612 and the 3650/60 were the last conventional contractor TSs they marketed. IMHO, you're wasting time and money trying to install the stop screws on your older c-man. i don't even bother setting the set screws or stop collars on my two emerson electric built 10" CI TSs. with the accumulation of even a small amount of sawdust, the stops were almost useless. i removed the stop collars from my c-man and backed the ridgid stop screws out as far as i could. save the money you would spend on this fabrication and get a wixey digital angle cube for setting 90 and 45. much more acccurate than the set screws and probably less expensive.

Wixey.com - Digital Angle Gauges
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

thanks for your input, but that is not what i asked for in the post. just a simple measurement is all i asked for. I already use the Wixey angle gauge so that is not relavent to my request. If i have the model numbers incorrect, then shame on me. All i need is the measurement information. I will judge if i am wasting my time.

Comment

wish i could help you out, but since i don't use mine, i guess you'll have to (hopefully) find that info elsewhere or from another forum member. good luck in your WW endeavors.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I'm not here often but here are the dimensions requested.
          Jim
          Attached Files

Comment

I wonder if the measurements for a RIDGID TS will work on your Craftsman saw, the table size might be different or the placement of the arbor may be different than a RIDGID saw. I would think it would be better to reference off something other than the edge of the table. Sometimes swinging a couple radiuses off two known locations is a better way to locate something than using rectangular measurements (left/right and up/down). An alternative would be to make a template using some stable piece of material that could cover the table top or at least the area needed to locate the two stop screw holes, and then without measuring just transfer the holes to your template. then take it to your ts and lay the template over the table top and drill. No measurements so less chance for a layout error. BUT...the table sizes must be the same and the location of the carriage and trunnions must be the same. I think you need to establish that this is true before you drill any holes.

And wouldn't you be better off not trusting anyone else to measure this and do it yourself? Not saying anyone here would mislead you intentionally but if they made even a slight error in measurement it could be disastrous for you. Might be better off trying to find someone local that would let you eyeball their saw or if you are lucky take a trip to your local HD and see if they have a floor display model you can peek at for a while.

This is definitely a "measure thrice, cut once" situation.

The drilling and tapping is the easy part. Locating the holes in the correct spot is the trick.
            But you knew that or you would not be here asking for assistance.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thanks "Jamesamd" for the measurements. I have already figured out and drilled the needed holes for my saw table. Will verify if your measurements will work for my saw. If they do, then I will update your reply for others who have the same idea. If they do not, I will add my measurements when I get some spare time.

As for Bob D reply, if you have done the research, like I have already done, and have found that you can use Ridgid parts for your Craftsman saw, Then maybe, just maybe, in building both saws, Emerson Electric used the same base dimensions to save design cost. It is not uncommon for a manufacture to build the same base unit for many companies. The diffence between Ridgid and Craftsman, for this generation, was Ridgid upgraded the base design of the saw with better features than Craftsman.

Example would be the Powermatic, Jet, Ridgid 6" jointers. Same base jointer, built by the same manufacture in Taiwan, using each it own design ideas to make the jointers ther own.

"Asking for assitance", not. Just looking for information.
              Last edited by holybatcrap; 02-18-2013, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Sorry for my reply. Glad you have it all under control.
                Last edited by Bob D.; 02-18-2013, 06:38 PM.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                ---------
                ---------

Comment

Originally posted by holybatcrap View Post
                  "Asking for assitance", not. Just looking for information.
                  With that kind of an attitude maybe next time we all should just let you look for your information all by your lonesome self! Bob happens to be one of the more knowledgeable and helpful members we have here and has probably forgotten more information than most ever learn. He certainly didn't deserve the type of response you gave him. If you're so all fired smart and familiar with the design specifications of the manufacturers you listed why did you pose your original question in the first place?
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

deal with it old wise ones

Comment

To ba fair he did plainly state that he needed nothingnmore than the measurements, so I should have kept my mouth shut and let well enough alone.

I can't help but wonder why if he had sent the top out to have the miter slot modified to a T slot why he just didn't have the stop screws located, drilled, and tapped while in the shop.

I guess the stop screw mod came up after the miter slot work was completed.

At any rate, as he said he knows if he is wasting his time or not, I should have realized I was by giving my 2 cents. It's something that most forums have in common, a know-it-all (that would be me) and he tried to avoid it but I spouted off anyway.

I am not offended, work with plenty of people like that every day.
                      ---------------
                      ---------------
                      ---------
                      ---------

Comment

Your right Bob!
                        The Man asked for a simple request,from anybody that owened a certain saw model/s.
                        I have gotten to know,the regulars hear,fairly well over the years since I found this forum and the HELP I was looking for.
                        I got off My *** and went to the basement,to get Him the EXACT mesurements from My 3660.
                        That is all He asked for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are ALL good people.Please,lets keep it that way.

Every question,needs an honest answer,or no reply............................................. .................................................

Jim

Comment

There is more drama here than necessary, but it's not the old timers providing it.

If somebody offers me advice I don't want I generally nod, thank them, and do whatever I want.

Nobody should feel bad that they offered any advice.

Thanks Bob for giving your insight and for being humble enough to take blame when there wasn't even a need to assign it.

Comment

Its no biggie. The guy joined; asked his one question and made 4 posts in that one thread; and hasn't been heard from since.
                            ---------------
                            ---------------
                            ---------
                            ---------

Comment

Working...
                            X