X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650 Table Saw

I was very impressed with the TS3650, and was about to buy one when I noticed that the motor only produces 13 amps at 110 Volts, and 6.5 at 220 Volts. Most of the competition are in the 18 amps at 110, and 9 amps at 220. Has anyone out there compared the performance from the Ridgid to that of the competition?

In addition, Home Depot is selling this saw for $998.00 in Canada, while the competition is showing Christmas sales in the the $600.00 range.

Any compents would be welcome.

We have run them pretty dang hard, I mean hard and hard wood (maple/oak) and no issues. FWIW-the Bridgewood and couple others in this $$ range also about the same. Guess if it ever became an issue I could always slow down feed speed but like I said - non-factor to date.
    That dollar matter is another thing tho - are the other saws at the $600 figure comparable? If so I'd honestly look at them real hard too. I assume you talking each in Canadian dollars, right? That is great big spread-huge. You have General up there - that TS of theirs is sweet saw (50-185 I thin'the number is). Last time I looked it was more like $1300-1400 Canadian I thought. Here - in US it's under $600 (rigid) of course and the GI is up there in $$. While I like our 3650's - if the dollar close to above 2 I woulda bought them likely.
    Curious what is there at $600 range - let us know please.

[ 12-10-2003, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Cranky ]
    Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

I haven't read any comments about the motor on the 3650 being underpowered relative to the competitions. There have been several comments about motor vibration due to long set screws that bent fan blades...easy fix from what I understand.

$998Cdn equates to over $770US with current exchange rates which does not make that saw a good value for Canadians IMO. It's $600 in the states, and some folks work out a better deal than that with 10% coupons, etc. GI, King Canada, Delta, Canwood, and Trademaster all have very nice saws (many of which offer solid cast wings and a Biesemeyer type fence) available in Canada at more attractive prices than what you described for the 3650.

Comment

Just FYI----checked my older Sears/Emerson motor----14 amps, but it's only listed at 1 hp. so only significant issue might be if someone was fudging the hp rating.
        Dave

Comment

Interesting in that I had used ...note I stated had, as in had used....also an old Sears Craftman, vintage early-mid '80's, looked a minute ago. It's rated 14 amps, claims 1.5 hp also and the thing struggled at times on 6/4 pine. Blade was Forrest, changed to different. Same. Scrapped the stinking thing except for motor and it would likely fire up today if I wired up. Would not die-just juiceless and useless.

I have about as much faith in amps as hp ratings. And this label states Emerson. I know what they should be capable of doing - this wouldn't. Life went on and got better saw.

Read above on options - to much for the 3650 it seems. Unless the others at $600 are little benchtops - then save cash and spend the cash for what works for you when you can.

Cannot confirm but someone at HD yesterday said they got wind of some upcoming tool sale. What/When he was not sure. Just they starting to once again get an inventory of the 3650's - been out as soon as they got thru door for last month here. One would have thought they'd think that issue thru months ago - but good for them. Just not us.
          \"NowhereMan, are you listenin\', do you know what you\'re missin\', NowhereMan....\" Fab Four

Comment

Joe---bet we have the same motor----mine with oil bathed shaft bushings----which, if not oiled, can cause the motor to bog.

Mine was a totally different experience----added good fence, good blade and link belt (don't know if this affected cutting). I had some 10/4 white oak----smooth as silk.

BTW---yes, I've seen Sears old ads that rated this a 1 1/2 hp, but interesting---the little instruction sheet that came with it rated it at 1 hp.
            Dave

Comment

Another interesting Sears story I guess. Still have original "shop" booklet that saw came with and the insert for motor. Insert says nothing pertaining to hp,amps,etc but the book does.
              And the motor says the amps.
              Typical of the how-to's of era before the attornies made them thick as dictionaries
              \"NowhereMan, are you listenin\', do you know what you\'re missin\', NowhereMan....\" Fab Four

Comment

Originally posted by Cranky:
                We have run them pretty dang hard, I mean hard and hard wood (maple/oak) and no issues. FWIW-the Bridgewood and couple others in this $$ range also about the same. Guess if it ever became an issue I could always slow down feed speed but like I said - non-factor to date.
                That dollar matter is another thing tho - are the other saws at the $600 figure comparable? If so I'd honestly look at them real hard too. I assume you talking each in Canadian dollars, right? That is great big spread-huge. You have General up there - that TS of theirs is sweet saw (50-185 I thin'the number is). Last time I looked it was more like $1300-1400 Canadian I thought. Here - in US it's under $600 (rigid) of course and the GI is up there in $$. While I like our 3650's - if the dollar close to above 2 I woulda bought them likely.

Comment

Originally posted by Trac:
                  </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Cranky:
                  </font>[/QUOTE]Hi Cranky:

Thanks for you reply to my questions on the TS3650. This saw is offered at Home Depot here in Canada at $998.00, and has just been introduced as a new item. It will probably come down after Christmas.

I currently have a 53" Delta Unisaw, with an Excalibur Sliding cross cut table. I have just moved and my shop is not big enough for this monster, and I wanted something smaller that would still have enough poop to do a good job.

Some of the other saws I have looked at in Canada are the King 10" Contractors Model KC-10TC/KRF-2025. Regular retail is $799.00 Canadian, on sale at $599.00. Sounds pretty good.

I also looked at a Craftex Contractors Saw put out by Busy Bee Tools here in Canada. It looks very similar to the King, and is probably made by the same people. It retails for $799.00 Canadian, and is on sale for $699.00.

I still prefer the look and feel of the TS3650, and think that the Herc-U-Lift mobile base is excellent. However, the competition seems to be a better bank for the buck.

Thanks for your input.

Trac

Comment

U welcome Trac and hope it helped somewhat.
                    I tried to get info on the 2 saws you mentioned and located one at the Busy Bee site, not familiar at all with them and curious.

What's the going $$ on the General there right now? I get screwed up always on prices and forget the exchange rate and what price I saw at ---- yours or ours in dollars.

If they drop the 3650 in price to be in range of the 2 mentioned it may be worthy of look. You correct in it feels nice, looks nice. Lift is great to have of course, especially in smaller shop.

What are you plans for the Uni?? Likely a strong market there too? Hard to find decent stuff used here and wondering if same there. Sounds like nice set-up but shop size dicates to us all sadly.

Luck in decision and if you selling Uni and having no luck drop line and general location. I'm sure there's someone around here(MN)who'd love to buy it.

Luck tossed your way.......
                    Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

Hi Trac - FWIW: The reports I've heard on much of the Craftex equipment is not all that good. The King machinery seems to be pretty well received though. I've seen the King and fondled it a bit in the store, but have never laid eyes on the Craftex. The King seemed to be comparable to the Grizzly stuff we have here. Not quite a Delta or GI, but good value (IMHO of course).

Comment

Working...
                      X