X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a NEW Router, HELP PLease !!

Looking for a new router. Any coments on PC 97529 or Makita RP1101 Kit. My Craftsman died after 30 years and sears says there are NO part to rebuild again. As far as I am conserned SEARS has gone out of business.Had a CREATSMAN mortice bit fail on the 1st use and they will not honor the warrenty.. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'm baffled by the rant. Call Chevrolet and ask for the upper dash fascia trim for a 1972 Impala. I'm betting they won't have it.

Bosch makes a nice combo kit in the price range you are looking for. I would ask any of these manufacturers what their projected parts availability will be in 2032, though.

Dave

Comment

Dave, you missed the point; I felt that they would not have parts to rebuild the router, BUT they should honor the warrenty on the mortice bit.($7.99). Any way for the reason I will not buy anything else from them.. I have over $12000.00 worth of CRAFTSMAN tools, but I am changing the way I do spend my $$. SEARS AS FAR i AM CONSERNED ARE "out of business" OVER A STUPID MORTICE BIT(NEW BY THE WAY, 1DT TIME TO USE IT,,, THANKS dd

Comment

DD, as a friend of mine once said, "Deep breath".

If you haven't bought a new router in the last 5 years, you should present a cheerful prospect. Things have really gotten better for these terrific tools.

Dave mentioned the Bosch: I recently upgraded my 1617EVS by buying the plunge base for it.

This is a fine machine (tho one of many) and I'd be happy to tell you more about it.

But if your question is "Where should I look for a new and outstanding router?", then I'd say start at International Tools, and cruise by Coastal Tools, too. Good firms, fine selection.

BTW, does your handle mean you were in the Navy, a corpsman, and conducted those 0300 short-arm inspections?

Out here

Joe

Comment

Wood mag. had a test on routers: bosch 1617evs, craftsman 27500, dewalt dw610, makita rf1101, milwaukee 5615-29, and porter cable 690lr. They liked the bosch and makita the best with porter cable next. Good luck.

Comment

Doc: you probably don't want to hear this but I have a Craftsman 27511 router, and it's great. 3" panel raisers don't slow 'er down a bit. 3 years old and purrs like a 15 amp 3 1/2 horse kitten. Otherwise, you can't go wrong with Porter-Cable or Makita either. Nuff said
            He who dies with the most power tools wins!

Comment

Docdick is a name that I have picked up over the years, as an Optician and as a EMT/P-Firefighter, A lot of folks have had some sick coments about it but my responce is "get your but out at 3 AM and try to help those who have had the bad time in a horriable wreck or fire" I am VERY proud to have this "nick name. Thanks to all for your responce. dd [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Hat's off to you, Doc. I'm sure it's a very rewarding experience.

Main reason I asked is that, in a previous lifetime, I was a corpsman. USS St Louis, LKA 116, '69 - '72. Plank owner.

Peace out.

Joe

Comment

You might want to look into the Hitachi M12V. Its a 3.25 hp plunge router. I have one and its great. Very smooth start and it comes with an edge guide, straight bit and micro adjustment knob. These would be extras on other brands.

Comment

I've had the Bosch 1613EVS a little over a year. Sweetest router imaginable: smooooth, soft-start, one-wrench bit change, precision depth control, template guide installs in 2 seconds... In a work "quality". Liked the 1617 so much I got another Bosch -- a 1617EVS for the router table. It works great handheld. The right tool mfgr can really spoil you. I'm still in the market for a 3+ hp for raised panels.

Can't put my finger on it, but have nagging reservations about P-C, though I know they make a real hoss -- 3 1/4 or 1/2 hp (7529?). Guess it has something to do with the fact that P-C was the 1st router I bought (HD). Ended up taking it back because the plunge mechanism wouldn't, and got the Bosch 1613EVS.

The Hitachi sounds good, as well as the Freud for monster hp/torque for raised panels. And who the heck is running a panel bit at 10k?? Incoming. Make sure you're wearing your sports protector.

Comment

Woodbutcher, the big Porter-Cables are:

7518 - fixed-base variable speed
                      7519 - fixed-base fixed speed
                      7539 - plunge variable speed
                      7538 - plunge fixed speed

These are very good machines. Their price reflects this, as they are all over three hundred. The giant fixed speed machines run at 21,000 rpm and are primarily for factory use, where they can be run for an entire shift without being turned off. All are 15a at 110v.

The 7529 is a plunge router, 12a @ 110v, a very neat design that unfortunately has had bad electronics and switch design problems. They are supposed to have been ironed out by now.

Dave

Comment

craftsman in 2 words.... OVER RATED!!! I used to think craftsman was synonamous with the word quality. nothing could be more wrong next to ryobi that is. craftsman is good on paper but when you use the tool it just does not come close to other tools by dewalt portercable bosch makita to name a few. i just got the makita rf1101 from amazon.com the combo set for $300. worth every penny check it out. you know what....ridgid should try making a router a plunge router. hint hint.

Comment

I have been trying to find someone who knows about the Rockler combo, table and porter cable router for $199.00...with the accessories total $239.00 seems like a good deal. I don't want to jump without hearing some opinions...have bought e
                          nough tools that turned out less than desirable.

"so many tools, so little time!" Remember: "God's Son was a carpenter too!"
                          \"Aarrgh, sliver me timbers\"<br /><a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/daviddunlap\" target=\"_blank\">www.picturetrail.com/daviddunlap</a>

Comment

Hi Ho Silver, I think that you sent me an E Mail but there was not any message. I ended up with a Freud 2000E 3 1/2 hp. Love it, mounted in router table and ran over 950' of raised panel for my cypress siding. It never even burped, though the raised panel bit died, got another one to finish and will the 1st one resharpened. As for the Rockler, I do not have any information about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Docdick:
                              Hi Ho Silver, I think that you sent me an E Mail but there was not any message. I ended up with a Freud 2000E 3 1/2 hp. Love it, mounted in router table and ran over 950' of raised panel for my cypress siding. It never even burped, though the raised panel bit died, got another one to finish and will the 1st one resharpened. As for the Rockler, I do not have any information about it.
                              \"Aarrgh, sliver me timbers\"<br /><a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/daviddunlap\" target=\"_blank\">www.picturetrail.com/daviddunlap</a>

Comment

Working...
                              X