X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grounding Shop Vacs

I bought a Ridgid wet/dry vac,(3.25 hp/8 gal) to improve my cleanliness around my garage/shop. I do not have the normal pricey vacuums that you can connect to your tools.
    My question is this, how do I ground out my vac so that saw dust does not stick to the tubes and that I do not get shocked from touching something metal when I am sweeping? This model does not have a ground on the plug. I saw some articles that people have taken the thin wire tape and ran it inside the tubes, but how do I go about grounding the vacuum from there?
    Andrew Kenton

Hey Drew, welcome to the forum. I don't think you have anything to worry about using your shop vac as is. It's rated for both wet and dry use so if it won't zap you when it sucks water I doubt if it will zap you when you touch some metal while cleaning up the shop.

[ 10-24-2003, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: Badger Dave ]
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I often wondered why an electrical motorized machine that is made to use in wet conditions does not have a grounding wire? This makes no sense to me!
      John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

I don't think he was suggesting that the tool was shorting out or something along those lines.

I live in Colorado where the humidity is non existent, and using the shop vac to clean up is like going through a electric shock therapy. So much static build through the hose that if i do not ground myself to a machine occasionally i get discharges through my shoes. OUCH!!!

How do you go about draining that static?

Comment

That is a question that has gotten my attn. a few times. Wet/Dry vacs and some other tools don't have a 3rd prong to ground them, but they are rated the same as the rest?? Any ideas? Rick

Comment

Ridgid Wet/Dry Vacs are double insulated(DI). That is why a grounding plug is not required.

Comment

Rockler sells a grounding kit, but I know nothing about it. Search for it on rockler.com by using, "Dust Grounding Kit" as your search.

[ 10-28-2003, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: yogibear ]

Comment

Have y'all tried using aluminum tape?

Comment

You could try to mount a small lenght of chain conected at the hose. Let it drag on the floor and this should act as a ground releave the shock.

Comment

Wow, interesting here in Florida we don’t have that problem. I have heard that there is sealer that is used on high voltage cables to prevent flash over. I think it’s made by (sp?) Collonite's. As for shock from the vac, use GFCI outlets in your workspace.

No Bull Dust Just Saw Dust

Comment

I'm definetly not an electrician ( don't get paid enuf) but i think on most new plugs, the wider of the 2 prongs goes to the nuetral wire in plug thus grounding it. I notice almost all new wires are set up this way. At any rate.....not to worry about your vac if its wet/dry pickup.

Try vacuming water coming outta the main electric panel when it pours out !!!! Called elec co 3 times, said they would be right out.....never do
                      <a href=\"http://www.woodshopphotos.com/gallery/Ralphs-workshop\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodshopphotos.com/gallery/Ralphs-workshop</a><br /><br />I can fix anything......where\'s the duct tape ?? :-)

Comment

The large plug is the ground plug, The third prong is the groundING plug. The grounding plug is for safety if the unit shorts out to the case. If the case was metal, the metal would be grounded out to protect the user from becoming the easiest path to ground. With a plastic case, that's not a worry. You are sufficiantly protected from shock.

A great trick with static electricity is to hold a quarter in your hand and touch it to metal. It arcs out on the quarter instead of your skin. Pain free. Unless you short the quarter out on your wife. That's funny, but may be painful.

Comment

Yep, that's what I was talking about. Still funny for a few seconds, till the roller comes out.

Comment

Working...
                          X