JP610-bad knives??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JP610-bad knives??

I've got a JP-610 jointer (got it about a month ago) and I'm on my 2nd set of knives. I use it, maybe 1 or 2 times a week anywhere from 30 sec to 10 min on walnut or occasionally soft maple. I also make Veeerrrrry light passes (just more of them) and I don't use crappy wood ar anything that may have nails in it. A week after I had it, I noticed a raised "groove" going down the surfave and found a nick in all 3 knives. Hmm...maybe my fault? 2 weeks after I spent $35.00 for a new set, same thing. Was there a bas run of knives, maybe ground too thin? I'm not very happy because those knives are expen$ive. Otherwise, it's a nice tool. I like it....

I don't know how much truth there is to this,but my old wood shop teacher told us about a time he was plaining a board and found he was cutting into a bullet from a gun and got a grove in his blades.Just an old story I recon.These days they run metal detectors over the logs at the mill cause a bunch of jerks them activist like to spike trees,they have hurt alot of people.

Be safe out there folks.

Bob B.

[ 02-18-2005, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: bob bridgewater ]
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Be safe out there folks
    Bob B
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

Are both sets nicked in the exact same spot? If so I would look for a clearance issue or maybe something was dropped in the machine and is resting under the cutterhead? If you are using a steel straightedge to adjust the knives you may be knicking them when you install them, try aluminum or jointerpal. You can sharpen those knives several times as well, easily done by hand with one of these.

Lee Valley - jointer blade guide
      This is not a cheap solution but you will find that you will keep your knives sharper and get much better results out of your machine

Comment

If you're paying $35 for a pair, you might want to try switching to these:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

I bought 2 sets and installed the first set last week. The reason I bought these, is that I couldn't find any HD's that carried them.

This wasn't just local, I've been doing some traveling for work and checked stores from SC to TX and didn't find a single store selling them. A lot of the stores are selling the jointers, but they don't carry the knives...go figure!

Bob R

Comment

Nothing scientific, but it "seems" like my Freud replacement blades are lasting longer then the originals did.

Still, they are only HSS and simply do not wear like all the carbide tools we get used to like Saw blades and router bits. I have seen carbide jointer knives but they are quite an investment.

For around $20 for a set of blades from Amazon, I haven't even bothered to try sharpening mine.

Jim

Comment

Thanks for the answers. The 2 sets are nicked (once) in different places, but they're still quite sharp, so I might take 1 blade from one set and switch it out with 1 blade from the second set so the nicks will cancel out...for now.

Comment

Bob

Same story in Michigan, lots of jointers and no knifes. Recently I was at a local HD perusing the stationary tool area in search of some knifes and an employee approached me to offer his assistance. I asked if they sold many JP0610 and he replied they sold a ton of them it was their best selling stationary tool. I then proceeded to ask why they did not stock the replacement knifes for it and he just had a look of bewilderment, had no idea what I was referring to. I read in a different board that the Freud model C410 was the correct replacement (6.125” x .75” x .125”); does the 1/16-inch make any difference?

Woodslayer

Comment

In my local HD the replacement knives are in the tool dept over by the router bits and saw blades, I've never seen them placed near the stationary tools.

Comment

Woodslayer,

The ones that I took off the machine are actually 5/8" rather that 11/16" or 3/4". The Freud C350 knives are 6" X 5/8" X 1/8" and they are the closest I could find besides the C400. I didn't want to give up the extra 1/8" length so bought the C400.

I hadn't tried the jointer since installing the knives because I was waiting on a link belt to replace the original belt. The original is about 4 years old and had started slipping. I installed the belt today and finally got a chance to try the new knives.

After quite a bit of adjusting, I have the machine set about as close as I can get it. The boards are just a shade smaller on the ends than in the middle. I'm going to try these for a while, but may have to have the blades ground down to 5/8".

Bob R

Comment

Bob D.

That's where I have normally found them too, but it appears that many of the stores have quit stocking them. I even tried to have one of the stores special order them for me. That didn't work either.

If you have this machine and can get the knives, I would stock up if I were you.

Bob R

Comment

I have the Delta 6" joiner, and haven't had to replace the knives yet. but I should pick up an extra set so I am not stopped in the middle of a project without a set should I need to change them.

Comment

Originally posted by woodslayer:
                        Bob

I read in a different board that the Freud model C410 was the correct replacement (6.125” x .75” x .125”); does the 1/16-inch make any difference?

Woodslayer
                        Actually, that 1/16" makes a surprising difference. I got the C410 (3/4") instead of the correct C400 (11/16") because amazon showed a shipping time of 2 weeks for the C400 and I needed them sooner than that.

But it was surprising how many adjustments I had to make to compensate. I ran the jack screws down as far as I could, and I still had to raise the infeed table so much that I the zero adjustment couldn't even be adjusted without remounting it altogether. Overall, once everything was re-adjusted it was OK, but I would suggest using the "correct" width knives if possible.

Jim

Comment

Purchased the jointer last Monday and assembled it over the weekend. When I ran some 4" wide cherry through (face) I noticed two raised ridges approx. 2 3/4" & 3 1/4" out from the fence. Without moving the fence I ran another piece of cherry through with the same results; same distance from the fence and the two ridges approx. 1/2" apart. After unplugging the machine I took the blade guard off and with a flashlight I checked the three blades. Sure enough there were two "nicks" on two different blades.
                          What do you think is the best course of action. Should I call Ridgid for replacement blades or just bring the machine back to HD. I really don't want to try and load that thing into my van. I've read some posts that leave me with the impression that setting the blades is not that easy. Any thoughts on how I should proceed? I'll be calling Ridgid tomorrow in any case.

Thanks, Bernie

Comment

Contact Ridgid.
                            I'd buy new blades before I'd transport that thing to return it. $30 isn't worth that much hassle.
                            www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Called Ridgid this morning. Spoke to a very nice women who told me that they would be shipping me new knives. Should get them in a week or so. I guess I'll find out what it's like to replace/adjust the knives sooner than I thought!

Bernie

Comment

Working...
                              X