X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laser

FROM ONE WOOKWORKER TO ANOTHER. ON FEB 10TH I ASKED IF ANYBODY KNEW IF RIDGID MADE A LASER SIGHT FOR THERE 12" MITER SAW. AS OF TODAY KNOWBODY HAS RESPONDED. TO TELL THE TRUTH I'M A LITTLE DISAPPOINTED. EITHER THE QUESTION IS TOO STUPID TO RESPOND TO, OR IT'S BECAUSE I'M NEW. WELL WHICH IS IT??? RL

My guess is that nobody knew definitively. I have not seen one as a listed accessory on their website, so they probably don't make one but I can't say with 100% certainty. There are some aftermarket lasers available that may work with the Ridgid saw.

I believe Woodworker's Supply sells one or two models, and other retailers may as well. I think Porter-Cable may be the only one selling a saw with a laser as an original part right now, although Craftsman did for a while (my understanding is that they no longer do, but that could be old information).

Comment

RL, it might be partly because you are typing in all capital letters. I understand you don't know this already, but that's impolite in forums. Capitals are reserved for shouting.

I'm afraid I don't know if Ridgid plans to offer a laser miter saw. I'm fairly sure they don't have one right now.

Dave

Comment

The laser will Not fit the ridgid miter saw.
        Andy B.

Comment

When someone doesn't know the answer to a question it's usually a good idea not to offer an answer. After 10 days I would have thought you would have figured it out for yourself. Your original post was in lower case, so I guess in this one you are in fact yelling at all of us.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

RL,
            I would look at This Ridgid power tool link if you want to see what Ridgid has to offer...

Welcome to the forum and I hope this helps...

[ 02-20-2003, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: Big Johnson ]
            Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

Eagle America has a laser they claim to fit any 5/8" arbor saw. It's big expensive, you could check them out.

Comment

Another suggestion that might help is to search the forums for information. A quick search for the word "laser" yields 4 posts. I've found alot of information this way, it's very helpful. Good luck.

Comment

a laser they claim to fit any 5/8" arbor saw

There's the rub, Andrew. I'm pretty sure Ridgid's 12" miter saws have 1" arbors, the ordinary size for twelve inch blades. DeWalt 12" saws, at least ones like mine, have 5/8" arbors.

Badger Dave, I guess I was assuming too much, huh?

Dave

Comment

Ridgid at this point does not ofer a laser. There are many types out there. Personally I am not a fan of lasers. Watch out for those that only align to one side of the blade. This system leaves you to allow for the kerf of the blade when making a cut to the opposite side. Some don't even adjust. Once you are used to your saw you can just as quickly pick up your lay out mark. Most problems people have with cutting molding etc, come from not understanding the layout more then alignment of the saw blade to the layout mark

Comment

Im sorry to all. I did not mean to give you all the impression that I was yeling, fore I was not. To much pressure I guess. Thank you all for getting back. I had quite a collection of woodworking tools and my x seemed to have gottin the best of me. Now I have aquired (six) new ridgid tools and have them in a new 1 1/2 story wood shop. I really have the itch. Agin thanks to all of you. RL.

Comment

Welcome aboard, everythings cool!

I don't know if this will work or not but maybe someone with more knowledge than I can tell us. There are adapter bushings that go on 1" arbors that let you adapt down to mount a 5/8" arbor blade. If you put one of these on and then mounted an after market laser it may just work. I may be totally wrong and out in left field but maybe it would work.

Comment

There are adapter bushings that go on 1" arbors that let you adapt down to mount a 5/8" arbor blade.

BD, you said this just backward, I'm afraid. You can bush a larger 1" blade onto a 5/8" arbor, but putting a 5/8" blade onto a 1" arbor violates a physical law, two things cannot be in the same place at the same time.

RL, glad to hear you're all right.

Dave

Comment

I think the big issue on those arbor mount lasers is that the blade has to be running to activate the laser----personally, I don't like moving wood underneath a running blade!!!

Looked at the arbor type and the type that mounts on the arm frame, which you align with the edge of the blade kerf----this type was, IMO, too easily knocked out of line.

Let's hope that the newer laser CMSs have found a better solution.
                            Dave

Comment

Dave A,

Of course your right, don't have the slightest idea what I was thinking. Although it might explain the tendency I have to fix everything with my hammer. [img]redface.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X