X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router purchasing decisions

I just purchased the PC 693VSPK router kit at HD during the 20% off sale, however, now I am having second thoughts. I have been looking at the Bosch 1617EVSPK or the Dewalt DW618PK Kits. My tendancies are to the Bosch. Any thoughts on the PC vs the others? Did I make a mistake? Money is not the issue here, it just happened to be on sale at the time. Please help me decide....thanx...
    If it ain\'t broke, tell the wife it is so that you can get more TOOLS!!

I'd take the PC and get the Bosch. It's not that the Bosch or the DeWalt are any better than the PC but if you keep the PC you'll always have that doubt in the back of your head. All three models that you listed are excellent routers so I'm not sure that you could really make a bad choice here.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

cevan,

I personally own 2 pc routers, and I think they are great. I owned my first but got tired of puting it on, and taking it off the router table. I had to buy another. When I did I bought the pc with no hesitation. I've never owned a bosch, but do own several dewalt tools Think they are good. I think you will be happy with the pc.

jja0

Comment

The PC 690 series has been an industry standard for years. You can take it back if you want, but it's an excellent router, especially for handheld work.

Comment

The Freud 2000 3 1/2 hp is on sale for $177 at woodworkers Supply.
          SCWood

Comment

another case of possible buyers remorse it seems. We all go thru it sooner or later. [img]smile.gif[/img]

That PC is nice unit. Use all the time. The others great also. The new 893 has a little more hp at 2 1/4 and I'd go that route if I had no 20% off I'd lose but that's another factor,no?

Personally - I'd be happy with what you bought. Old and proven design. Tough as heck. Acessories everywhere you look and reasonable priced.

You planning on table useage too? Dedicated with one of bases? That may be reason to rethink and up the hp. But if not - think you made nice choice and likely bought real well

Comment

PC have a great reputation and Bosch does too. Depends on your preference. Probably can't go wrong with either.

Every purchase has some kindof remorse. Been in sales for 10 years, Learned that a long time ago. Your biggest remorse will come from impulsive decisions that cost more. I'd say you have a good router. If you don't think it is what you wanted, feel free to take it back.

I'm looking into getting PC 890 plunge / fixed base kit. extra 1/2 horsepower, ability to adjust saw and remove bits from above router table if you ever mount your router to a table.

But the router you have is a good one too. Just figure out what you need and want to spend etc.

Jake

Comment

Originally posted by woodworkerjake:
                PC have a great reputation and Bosch does too. Depends on your preference. Probably can't go wrong with either.

Every purchase has some kindof remorse. Been in sales for 10 years, Learned that a long time ago. Your biggest remorse will come from impulsive decisions that cost more. I'd say you have a good router. If you don't think it is what you wanted, feel free to take it back.

I'm looking into getting PC 890 plunge / fixed base kit. extra 1/2 horsepower, ability to adjust saw and remove bits from above router table if you ever mount your router to a table.

But the router you have is a good one too. Just figure out what you need and want to spend etc.

Jake
                I just bought the Triton 3 1/4hp (15 amp) plunge router. I call it the Beauty AND the Beast. I must say that you need to take a look at what it has to offer. It is well priced for what you get.
                I am finishing a router table for it and can't wait to use it with my big bits. One great feature is that it dosen't have to be taken out of the table to change the bits, just have the bit extend all the way and it is automatically locket and ready to be lossened.

Hope this helps.
                Are you Rapture ready? Know Jesus Christ or know his enemy!

Comment

You are right about that triton. Nice reviews on that puppy. I'm kindof brand loyal in my personality. Like Bosch Jigsaws, PC routers, Jet Powermatic Delta woodworking tools, Dewalt drills.

However I have heard very good things about that triton router. It looks like something I'd mount on table. a bit too big for me to want to use for free hand. I almost bought 690 pc for same reason but I got coaxed up to 890 for table top router bit removal =)

Thanks for the info though. Looks like a nice router.

Jake

Comment

Originally posted by woodworkerjake:
                    You are right about that triton. Nice reviews on that puppy. I'm kindof brand loyal in my personality. Like Bosch Jigsaws, PC routers, Jet Powermatic Delta woodworking tools, Dewalt drills.

However I have heard very good things about that triton router. It looks like something I'd mount on table. a bit too big for me to want to use for free hand. I almost bought 690 pc for same reason but I got coaxed up to 890 for table top router bit removal =)

Thanks for the info though. Looks like a nice router.

Jake
                    So far I have been using it by hand with and without the included edge guide and it works great. I will keep you posted as to its performance once it is mounted under the table.
                    Are you Rapture ready? Know Jesus Christ or know his enemy!

Comment

I want to thank all that replied. You are right, it is a case of buyers remorse.....I hate that. Anyway, I went ahead and broke of the package to the 693 and just started using it. Works great. I will be using if for my new handheld. I don't particularly care for the Allen wrench on the plunge, but if its not one thing it could be another. Thanx again....I am now looking at the 3 HP routers and have looked at the PC as well. Still thinking.... [img]smile.gif[/img]
                      If it ain\'t broke, tell the wife it is so that you can get more TOOLS!!

Comment

Exxxxxxxxxxxxxxxcelent smithers

Exxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxcelent

Jake

Comment

I use the combination PC plunge/fixed router and have had it for like 3 years now, and find it works great. I use the 2 1/2 HP Hitachi router in my table (modified with a lift kit), it is variable speed so that helps. I got the Hitachi on sale at amazon, it had one of those hidden price spcials and got it for $150

the PC is great and takes both 1/4 & 1/2 shanks, no dust collection tho. Some dewalts do have that port sticking out the top that I wish I did have, but that is all I wish were different.

Comment

Working...
                          X