X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitter/riving knife on R4512 install issues

I just picked up a used R4512, 1 yr old. The seller did not have the splitter attached. He gave it to me to attach. I took it home, put it in place and now I cannot push the locking lever all of the way down. I made sure the holes are lined up correctly as the manual states to do, still I cannot lock it in place. I got my air compressor out and blew the area clear of any dust, still unable to lock it down. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to loosen some screws somewhere?

Re: Splitter/riving knife on R4512 install issues

The lever only moves 1/4 of a turn. Straight up is unlocked and pointing to the front of the saw is locked. Hope this helps
    SSG, U.S. Army
    Retired
    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

I am able to push the lever down the required 1/4 turn with the splitter out. When I put the splitter back in, I can only push the lever maybe 1/8 down. I have lined up the splitter holes correctly, still no luck. Is there adjustment screws somewhere?

Comment

Mine is very tight also. I can get it all the locked down but I really have to work at it. I never did find any kind of adjustment for it either but now that I think about it you would want it a little stiff. Maybe a very light hand sanding of the riving knife and then a test fit till you can get it to work. I am by no means saying this I'd an acceptable way to make it work but it might help.

Comment

It is very hard to lock into place (and pull back up). i use the handle of a hammer to gently push it down into the locked position.
          Mike
          Mike

Comment

I ended up trying to turn the bolt with one of the wrenches that were provided. I snapped the bolt and now have no way of tightening the riving knife. Now what do I do?

Comment

Indychips and Neville,

Welcome to the Ridgid forum.

I don't have the R4512, though God knows I've certainly looked at it enough and I've examined the on/off latching of the blade guard. As I recall, it was on the saw when it was first put on display but later I found it off and tried to install it... but couldn't for the reason's you mentioned. Now it is off and broke! Guess that one was a problem too.

Has anyone discussed this with Ridgid Customer Service or Technical Support? Technical support is usually the first place that I call with a Ridgid tool question, though I must admit that on a couple of occasions they haven't givem me a satisfactory answer.

Neville, Regarding your breakage. I guess with the difficulty of installing, etc., I think I would put in a claim for the new part (s). Certainly Ridgid should be able to address this issue, it is afterall their product, whether they actually make it or not. Did you get the LLSA on this (with proper registration), or perhaps you are still under the 3-year warranty period.

Good luck,

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by indychips View Post
                I just picked up a used R4512, 1 yr old. The seller did not have the splitter attached. He gave it to me to attach. I took it home, put it in place and now I cannot push the locking lever all of the way down. I made sure the holes are lined up correctly as the manual states to do, still I cannot lock it in place. I got my air compressor out and blew the area clear of any dust, still unable to lock it down. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to loosen some screws somewhere?
                See my other post in the power tool section.

Comment

Working...
                X