X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3612 Throat Plates

I'm looking for some tips on building zero clearance throat plates for the 3612 table saw.

The original steel throat plate is thin and has a small clip on the underside of plate, near the back. I'd like to use 1/2 Baltic Birch but haven't figured out how to address the need for the rear clip.

Does anyone with a 3612 make their own throat plates? What tips can you provide?

Thanks in advance for your feedback,
    george

Re: 3612 Throat Plates

A couple of things I've tried are using those plastic mirror clips or pushing in a brad into the ZCI at an angle. Both work OK although I prefer the mirror clips however you really don't need either if your ZCI fits snuggly into the opening and the kerf is cut properly.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I like the mirror clip idea.

What thickness of material do you use for your ZCs?

Comment

Most of my homemade inserts are dado ZCI's and I used ¼" hardboard for them. However, it doesn't really matter what thickness the rest of the insert is as long as you get the outside edge thickness right. For regular 10" saw blades, the hardest part of making ZCI's for the 3612 is getting the kerf opening cut started. My best results have been with using one of the outside blades from my dado set to start the kerf for full kerf blades and a 7¼" circular saw blade to start the kerf for think kerf blades.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

>>the hardest part of making ZCI's for the 3612 is getting the kerf opening cut started.
          I get this...the top of a 10" blade doesn't drop below the table top much. I've been planning on starting the cut with a circular saw blade.

For my first attempt I used 1/4" birch plywood. It seemed too thin to me. Milling down the edges of 3/8" material may be where I'm heading next. It will require a few extra steps and setups but I think I'll feel more confident with them.

Again, thanks for the tip on using mirror clips on the back side of these ZCIs. I might actually try one this weekend.
          george

Comment

I use sink cutouts from Corian counter top. The thickness is about perfect and it is nice and slick.

I don't have any clip on the rear. In fact, after cutting the slot for a wide kerf blade, I flip the insert over (side to side) and cut a slot for a thin kerf blade. One insert does double duty. Don't forget to countersink both sides of the mounting screw hole.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll have some time this weekend make a few prototypes.

I'll post my progress,
              george

Comment

Working...
              X