X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shutters

i have been recently ask to build a several set of shutters for a friend and i'm not sure of what type of wood to use. we live in the southern part of louisiana and the weather is very unpredictable at times.

thank you

In my opinion,if you can find it, cypress would be your best bet.

Comment

Heck, I'd search all over to find cypress. I built a screen door from cypress----now almost 3 years old, that doesn't show the slightest problem. Now, building shutters----there's your problem.
      Dave

Comment

Originally posted by daveferg: Now, building shutters----there's your problem.
        You got that right!
        Lorax
        "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

I remember Norm building an outdoor project on his show from reclaimed cypress not long ago.

If I am not mistaken he also built a teak dry bar for poolside or deck use and it had shuttered cabinet doors. You could probably ask on the New Yankee website who the supplier was. I think they were in Florida. The Woodfinder website should be able to turn you on to a source for cypress also.

[ 06-09-2005, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: Bob D. ]

Comment

I sent you a PM

Comment

also white oak or cader might also be a good choice, and please post a pic or two when they are completed
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Cypress, Western Red Cedar, or Redwood would be my top 3 choices.

Being down in LA you should be able to find a supplier for Cypress.

When I made the shutters for my Uncle's cabin, I made a jig to cut the slots for the slats in the edges of the stiles. It gave me a wide base for the router to ride on and it made the job quick. I used a 1/4" pattern bit with my plunge router.

Good luck with your project. It is time consuming but a fun project to do.
                Dimensional Carpentry & Custom Woodworking
                Historic Renovations, Restoration, & Custom Log Homes

I Beat The Competition Hammersdown!

Comment

Working...
                X