No announcement yet.

Need advice on deciding what router table extension to use with my table saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on deciding what router table extension to use with my table saw

Hey guys,

This is my first post here and was looking for some advice,

Just recently purchased the rigid 4512 table saw and looking to extend it capabilities by adding a cast iron table saw extension on it. I have found two different models and I am torn between the two. I have read a few of the other threads that have been posted about router table extension but non that really compared the two.

I am looking at the bench dog 40-102 as well as the craftex c200 R... If there is something else you suggest I am all ears

Main differences I see is the bench dog version has the ability to install a lift where as the craftex does not. Bonus on the craftex is the versatility of the miter slots and a better looking fence.

To give you some background on me I am a beginner wood worker wanting to dapple more with cabinet making. Granted I know the table I have currently is not cabinet grade but don't have the extra money space and desire to drop the money on a true cabinet grade table saw.

Thanks for any and all help

Re: Need advice on deciding what router table extension to use with my table saw

what is your reasoning behind choosing a CI router table as opposed to other materials?

The CI extension will add significant weight to your TS, and since it is hanging out there on the end may cause the whole TS to be unbalanced or unstable during some operations unless you plan to add some additional support.

If you are choosing a CI top for quality alone then you might want to consider some other choices. There are phenolic and aluminum tops and other choices.
    You can spend anywhere from $20 to $700 for a router extension table, just depends on how crazy you want to get and how much money you have to blow.

Take a look at Woodpeckers web site for some possible (but expensive) options that will accept a lift it that is where you want to go in the future (or now if your wallet allows). There are other sources, you can look at Woodcraft or MLCS or Penn Sate Industries, Woodhaven, there are many choices.
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Re: Need advice on deciding what router table extension to use with my table saw

One of the concerns that I have that drove me to a CI extension was would MDF have issues with swelling and warping in time leading to an untrue work surface?

I have read a few other threads about concerns with weight on the table and using either extra support or not to compensate for this. The general census was 50/50 on supporting it or not. Again as I said I am a beginner and going on what I have read from other threads and some research and do not now first hand. Some have said adding cast iron extension help to reduce vibration by weighing down the table helping for a truer cut?

Appreciate the extra options for the table and will check them out.

Comment

Originally posted by wwalnoha View Post
        One of the concerns that I have that drove me to a CI extension was would MDF have issues with swelling and warping in time leading to an untrue work surface?

only if you get it really wet. MDF doesn't like water. DAMHIKT.

I have read a few other threads about concerns with weight on the table and using either extra support or not to compensate for this. The general census was 50/50 on supporting it or not. Again as I said I am a beginner and going on what I have read from other threads and some research and do not now first hand. Some have said adding cast iron extension help to reduce vibration by weighing down the table helping for a truer cut?

more mass is always better than less mass for taming vibration. look up Bob D's postings on his 3650. great application of a router table extension to a contractor saw with a wing support that did not compromise mobility.

Appreciate the extra options for the table and will check them out.
        good luck with your project.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...
        X